Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: spa command install problems.

1. Back To Top    #1

spa command install problems.

Hi all... Installing a pentair spa command remote by the spa. Wiring has been checked... connection seems good. But when I power on the system and try to assign an id to it, there is no display on the remote, no lights no nothing.

Any help?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: spa command install problems.

Have you tried wiring it to the other COM port? Do you have any other spa controls or COM devices connected?

You should be getting 15VDC across the black and red wires (terminals 1 and 4) which should at least give you power/light I'd imagine.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I will check that.

I have two pumps, a heater and a screen logic, and a swg all connected to one com port. This was the only thing connected to the 2nd com port b/c the terminal strips I used to connect all that to the other port were full.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

4. Back To Top    #4

If I don't have 15v dc across those terminals, is there a fuse on board to check? This is a new intellitouch i9+3

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd assume the 15v track is the same for both COM ports, but I'm not sure. The more likely problem is the amount of stuff connected. Pentair makes an expansion COM module (PDF) for $50. P/N 520818. I've never needed one but I also don't recall ever trying to double up on one COM port. Perhaps someone who puts these things in more regularly can chime in. In the meantime I'd try disconnecting everything but the spa command just to see if you got a response from it, then start reconnecting accessories one at a time.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I know that the old iS10 wouldn't light up (display the temp) till you put it into spa mode. Give that a try...
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown
    I know that the old iS10 wouldn't light up (display the temp) till you put it into spa mode. Give that a try...
    The temperature wont display, but the active auxiliary circuits would illuminate.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

8. Back To Top    #8

So I checked voltage, its getting the correct voltage, made a short cable for it and connected standing at the control panel.. still dead as a doornail. submitted a warranty request with pentair. Hope they arent as slow as their online reputation....

The expansion com module is just a fancy terminal strip, so I just used a terminal strip.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I usually just use wirenuts instead of a terminal strip =)
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

10. Back To Top    #10

Well pentair referred it to a local pool guy for warranty call... hopefully I wont have to wait too long for an appointment. Not a huge deal tho, waiting on plumber for gas install still.... sigh.