Something has failed

RobbieH

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 30, 2010
Dallas, TX
Scenario:
TONS of rain, enough to take the pool water almost to the top of the skimmer inlet
Skimmer basket floated for a while, likely some leaves went into the intake line
Pump making different noise than normal, a bit louder, and slightly higher pitch and a bit of a whistle
Normal PSI is 20, now running 5
Leaves are still pulled to the pump basket, so I am doubting I have a blockage in the intake plumbing
Pump can still prime everything, just running low pressure

I'm at a loss where to even start!

It sounds like a suction side, partial blockage.

I assume there is little to no air in the pump strainer basket. If that is the case, the pump is being restricted from "sucking" in all the water it wants. As a result, the pressure drops accordingly because the pump is unable to do as much "work".

You may have to get a plumbers snake or stick a garden hose into the pipe (from the pump end) that connects the skimmer(s) to the pump to get the water to flow backwards and dislodge the blockage.

The impeller is likely clogged. Shut the pump off and remove the lid and basket. then reach back into the suction port towards the pump with a dental hook or a a small screwdriver. Remove what you can and reprime the pump. If that doest clean it you may have to take the pump apart.

I've dug through the impellers and wasn't able to find anything in there. The pump basket was still in place, and I haven't had issues with it before. Mine is big enough I can get my hand in there, couldn't find anything. Tried a tool I have that looks like a dental hook with a screwdriver handle, still nothing.

Dave, tried pressuring it up from the pump side to blow debris back out the skimmer side in the pool using a water hose, but I can't generate enough pressure to do anything. I don't know if it is due to the length of water line (it is FAR from my pool to my pump equipment) or if the clog is so bad I can't clear it. I even used a rag to make a good seal around the hose.

Unfortunately, looks like I'm going to have to call a pro.

Repairman came today. It was a helluva struggle, but we have it up to 15psi (normally about 20psi). He had a rig that allowed him to use a water hose and air pressure at the same time, along with a self-sealing plug at the end of a water hose. Worked pretty good. I need to rig one up on my own, I could have done the same thing since I have a compressor. Running the pump continuously now hoping it'll clear the rest of the way into the pump basket.

Really starting to think after today that the main drain is not connected up. I tried to remove the plug from the bottom of the skimmer but it won't budge.

Did you see anything come out when he did that? It's sounding more and more like an impeller blockage. You may need to take the pump apart to find out as you may not be able to see or get to the clogs with a dental pick. I had some fiberous stem like things that plugged a few ports on mine - could not see or feel them - opened it up and there they were. You could also try pipe cleaners (like the kind our kids use in art class) and running those up each vane of the impeller.

Yes, it looked like dirt and fine leaf bits, but nothing big. I'm really dreading taking the whole thing apart, the pump and all the equipment are in a small room like a closet and it's hard to move around where the pump is. Guess I might have to if the pressure doesn't come all the way back up.

With 20psi on the air and full pressure from the water supply, it was almost impossible to move water back through the line. I still believe the blockage is between the skimmer and the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.