What to run during a freeze?

brownchristian

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, TX
My pool has an automatic turn on for freeze protection. I just bought the house in June so this will be my first winter. Concerned about the freeze protection. Went through the Jandy PDA settings and noticed the only thing set to run was the Filter Pump. I also have a Polaris 280, waterfall and spa. The spa is fed during the normal pool operation and waterfalls into the pool. I don't even think I can run the spa and pool at the same time. I assume I should run the waterfall but what about the cleaner pump? Also any way to check the freeze protection system? It is set at 34 degrees which I assume is outside temperature and not water temperature. Can I somehow trick the system? Thanks for your help.

Anything that has water standing in it and can freeze should flow when the freeze protection is engaged. You may need to adjust the stop on the pool/spa valve so it stops half way open so water is going to both.

You can easily fool the system into thinking it's freezing if you can find the temp sensor. Just ice it down.

Not sure how much freezing temps you're talking about or the duration. We're having a freeze warning in Arizona too. I'm not really concerned since most pipes are at least 6" underground and even at 30* there isn't much chance that anything will freeze and break overnight.
I have "tricked" the system by adjusting the actual temp in the pool water since I don't feel the need for it to come on at 34*.
If it makes you feel better, just change the start times to have your pool filter come on at say 1am and everything will be fine with it circulating or just let the freeze protection run it's course.

Your freeze protection is based on ambient air temperature and not water temperature.

If I were you, I'd just turn the pump on manually and call it good. Freezing temps in and around Houston are short in duration, not extremely hard, and relatively infrequent. As long as the water is moving, you will have no problems.

257WbyMag said:
Your freeze protection is based on ambient air temperature and not water temperature.
If I were you, I'd just turn the pump on manually and call it good. Freezing temps in and around Houston are short in duration, not extremely hard, and relatively infrequent. As long as the water is moving, you will have no problems.
My bad. I meant air temp. I have a calibration for air temp so the system thinks it's warmer outside.

I shut off my freeze protection several years ago. We don't get below freezing for more than 8 hours at a time and hardly ever below 25, so the pipes and equipment really don't have enough time to freeze. The only thing that freezes is about 2 inches of water in the dog bowl. I doubt Houston gets colder than we do so you may not need freeze protection at all unless your equipment pad is exposed to a lot of wind and isolated from the house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.