AquaLogic malfunction, getting annoying

Aug 16, 2011
Pasadena, CA
This happened once a few weeks ago, and then again this week two nights in a row. I'll be awakened in the middle of the night wondering what the noise is, and slowly realizing it's pool equipment running when it shouldn't be. And it's all the equipment, booster pump, filter pump, air blower, etc. All the indicator lights on the controller are usually lit up too, including ones that have nothing connected to them. Putting the unit into service mode stops everything, but coming back out of service mode, and it all comes back on. The first two times this happened, flipping the breaker for the controller reset the thing back to normal. However, last night, tripping the breaker (twice) didn't work. So I just left it off for the rest of the night. Busy day and I didn't go check it out yet... I'll see if it comes back on to normal tomorrow.

Do these units (it's a AQL-PS-8) have a history of random malfunctions that anybody knows about? I'm getting tired of stumbling outside in my pyjamas at 2:00 AM to deal with this thing.

Thanks,

Eric

Could it possibly be your freeze protection turning on or malfunctioning?

From the Goldline manual;
There are several reasons the filter pump may be running at times other than the timeclock
period setting. These include super-chlorination, spa operation, manual operation, heater
cooldown, freeze protection and “solar-extend”.

Of course most of these should show on your display.

Like Boland01 said, I believe I would check the circuit panel for any burnt or loose connections.
To do this you should turn off the power breaker (in the house) that feeds the panel. There are 3 ea 11/32" screws to open the panel cover and the plug that goes to the salt cell. Open the panel and check the plug in connections (temp sensors, ecu, display, etc). Check that all electrical connections at the circuit breakers, relays, and especially the white, green and copper grounds are good and tight. If you find a problem or just don't feel comfortable doing this then I would recommend calling an electrician.

Hopefully it will be a simple fix.
best of luck,
John

I hadn't thought about freeze protection, nor did I happen to notice what the air temperature sensor was indicating on the display. That makes sense, as the last few days it could certainly be getting down into the high 30s in the middle of the night. I didn't note it when I went through the configuration a while back, but I seem to remember the freeze protection being set at 38 F, and I believe some of the outputs have it enabled. That being said, if it is indeed freeze protection kicking things on, I would see no need to have freeze protection enabled on the blower. Plastic pumps and pipe make sense. If only that Darn booster pump wasn't so noisy... guaranteed to wake me up.

I think I'll check out the electrical connections in any case, just to be sure. I was thinking of disconnecting the ozone generator anyway, so it's a good excuse to open things up.

Thanks!

Eric

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.