Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New & Confused

1. Back To Top    #1

New & Confused

Hi All,
    Iamb closing on a new pool home Dec.7 never had a pool, know nothing about taking care of a pool so please be kind and I'm so glad I found you! I was considering converting the pool system to salt as I have always heard about how much healthier and safer and cleaner and bla ,bla, bla... but after some research on line I came across articles about corrosion of pool surface, ladders, decks surfaces and other problems with salt systems. Than I found Ecosmarte it sounded like what I was looking for until I read some of the post here. Is there any one here that has one and likes it? We also have 2 doggies that love the water and will no doubt be drinking out of the pool every chance they get not to mention many grandkids visiting. Is there nothing we can do about the chlorine ?

Thanks in advance,
    Teresa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New & Confused

Your best avenue is to get a swcg and maintain your pool according to the recommendations on this site. Chlorine is not the evil Ecosmarte (et.al.) would like you to believe. The water you drink every day contains chlorine unless you're on a private well, and a lot of those use it.

Do some research on this site and get a swcg and never look back.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Would swcg be salt water something, something , lol I'm sorry I really am a pool tard.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

SWCG is a saltwater chlorine generator. The salinity in the pool is fairly low and doesn't cause problems for most people. The system uses the salt to generate chlorine, and after the chlorine is used it turns back into salt.

The Ecosmarte is not a sanitizer.

Poorly maintained pools tend to smell like chlorine and generally make swimmers uncomfortable. Following our guidelines here will get you startlingly clear water that is safe, for much less effort than you are probably used to. I spend probably less than 2 minutes a day taking care of my inground pool, and I'd challenge anybody to tell the difference (without a test kit) between a glass of my pool water and a glass of my well water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

O.k. so sounds like salt might not be a bad idea after all ? Guess my only concern is the corrosion of pool surface and deck. If I am paying attention and understand correctly as long as I am anal about testing and making sure everything is balanced correctly than I should not have a problem with corrosion? for me this would not be a problem as I am "A.T." to a fault. My next question would be is there a preferred brand of SWC I have looked at Circu Pool any one kn about them

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaB
    O.k. so sounds like salt might not be a bad idea after all ? Guess my only concern is the corrosion of pool surface and deck. If I am paying attention and understand correctly as long as I am anal about testing and making sure everything is balanced correctly than I should not have a problem with corrosion? for me this would not be a problem as I am "A.T." to a fault. My next question would be is there a preferred brand of SWC I have looked at Circu Pool any one kn about them
    Corrosion would be pretty rare. Some people have trouble with salt deposits on ladder sockets, and in certain areas of the country with little rainfall during the swimming season there are issues with natural stone decks.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks John SW sounds better and better, we had our final walk through of the house today, the deck looks like concrete with whatever the standard coating is applied on top or whatever most people have around there pools or at least what I have seen. So all I have to do is decide on a brand of product ? Will post pics when I figure out how lol

8. Back To Top    #8

The Compupool is a good unit and so are the major brands (Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, etc.)
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry, not trying to highjack, Im closing on the 9th in Florida with one. What else should we do first?
    21,500 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' Diamond Brite Cool Blue pool. Sta-Rite SuperMax 1.5 HP 2 speed pump running on low for 8 hrs a day, Sta-rite PCX125 cartridge filter, CircuPool RJ-45 SWG, 500 watt incandesce light, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot cleaner, Solar-Breeze NX & TF-100 test kit, Taylor K1766 kit with speed stir.