oozing from new pump install?

jr219

Oct 2, 2011
Hello,

Getting some "oozing" on the pressure side of a new pump I installed. I just used teflon tape when installing it.. Very small.. Maybe a few drips an hour..but still there. It was worse but then I took it out and re-teflon taped it and installed it and its much better, but still just oozing a bit.. I used unions so I can get back at it if I need to.

Anything I Should do or just leave it alone? What material should I have used to seal the threaded fittings into the pump? Maybe the teflon paste vs. the tape?

Thanks!

-jr

Bama Rambler said:
I prefer the paste to tape. I usually get a better seal with the paste.

If nothing else works, there's a jedi plumbing trick outlined on the forum using paste and tape to get a seal.

Ok, will monitor it over the next few days and see what happens.. Then will go for the paste.. I think the trick was tape on the threads and then past on top of that..

-jr

Just checked it again. It's so minimal.. Just barely seeping through the threads. Think I'm going to leave it for a few weeks and see what happens before tearing it all down again..

I'm also seeing a little water seeping out on the glued connection as well, which is odd. That worries me more than the threaded connections.

but will let it run for a few days and check it again..

-jr

Be careful not to overtighten the unions. When I did my new pump install, I made the mistake of really screwing the suction side union way too tight (even using a pipe wrench). The result was that I pinched and stretched the o-ring and it was no longer sealing the union properly. After I took it apart, I made sure to only hand tighten it, and the o-ring works fine no with no leaks. BTW, I did not use either paste or tape, just a little silicone sealant on the o-rings.

CraigMW said:
Be careful not to overtighten the unions. When I did my new pump install, I made the mistake of really screwing the suction side union way too tight (even using a pipe wrench). The result was that I pinched and stretched the o-ring and it was no longer sealing the union properly. After I took it apart, I made sure to only hand tighten it, and the o-ring works fine no with no leaks. BTW, I did not use either paste or tape, just a little silicone sealant on the o-rings.

My unions are not leaking.. It's the threaded nipple into the pressure side of the pump.. I should have used the dope vs. the tape.

-jr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.