Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: oozing from new pump install?

1. Back To Top    #1

oozing from new pump install?

Hello,

Getting some "oozing" on the pressure side of a new pump I installed. I just used teflon tape when installing it.. Very small.. Maybe a few drips an hour..but still there. It was worse but then I took it out and re-teflon taped it and installed it and its much better, but still just oozing a bit.. I used unions so I can get back at it if I need to.

Anything I Should do or just leave it alone? What material should I have used to seal the threaded fittings into the pump? Maybe the teflon paste vs. the tape?

Thanks!

-jr

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: oozing from new pump install?

I prefer the paste to tape. I usually get a better seal with the paste.

If nothing else works, there's a jedi plumbing trick outlined on the forum using paste and tape to get a seal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I prefer the paste to tape. I usually get a better seal with the paste.

If nothing else works, there's a jedi plumbing trick outlined on the forum using paste and tape to get a seal.
    Ok, will monitor it over the next few days and see what happens.. Then will go for the paste.. I think the trick was tape on the threads and then past on top of that..

-jr

4. Back To Top    #4

Just checked it again. It's so minimal.. Just barely seeping through the threads. Think I'm going to leave it for a few weeks and see what happens before tearing it all down again..

I'm also seeing a little water seeping out on the glued connection as well, which is odd. That worries me more than the threaded connections.

but will let it run for a few days and check it again..

-jr

5. Back To Top    #5

Be careful not to overtighten the unions. When I did my new pump install, I made the mistake of really screwing the suction side union way too tight (even using a pipe wrench). The result was that I pinched and stretched the o-ring and it was no longer sealing the union properly. After I took it apart, I made sure to only hand tighten it, and the o-ring works fine no with no leaks. BTW, I did not use either paste or tape, just a little silicone sealant on the o-rings.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMW
    Be careful not to overtighten the unions. When I did my new pump install, I made the mistake of really screwing the suction side union way too tight (even using a pipe wrench). The result was that I pinched and stretched the o-ring and it was no longer sealing the union properly. After I took it apart, I made sure to only hand tighten it, and the o-ring works fine no with no leaks. BTW, I did not use either paste or tape, just a little silicone sealant on the o-rings.
    My unions are not leaking.. It's the threaded nipple into the pressure side of the pump.. I should have used the dope vs. the tape.

-jr

7. Back To Top    #7

My plumber friend always uses tape then dope on top of the tape. After learning this from him I've never had a leak with a fitting going hand tight plus 1/4 - 1/2 turn with a wrench.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner