Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dichlor question

1. Back To Top    #1

Dichlor question

I'm decontaminating my tub now and intend to start the dichlor/chlorine this week. I've got my 6% unscented bleach but not sure what to get for dichlor. I found some small bags of Swimmers Choice granular shock for $4 that contain "Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate". Is this the stuff I want to use or is there a better option? Also, since this is a powder, does it measure the same as liquid? In other words, if the pool calculator calls for 1 oz. can I just pour that amount in a measuring cup, just like I would measure a liquid?

I did get a couple bags so I could super-chlorinate and drain after running the spa flush.

Thanks in advance for any help,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dichlor question

What you have is dichlor. You can just measure it by the cup, or you can use weight if you prefer.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you sir! I found that measuring the dichlor was tough because the pool calculator called for .4 ounces, I didn't have anything that small so I found a measuring spoon with ML on it, then I had to go online and convert oz to ml to figure it out. Is there an easier way? Or better measuring tools you would recommend?

4. Back To Top    #4

Multiply ounces by 2 to get tablespoons or by 6 to get teaspoons.

2 tablespoons = 1 ounce
    1 tablespoon = 0.5 ounce
    2 teaspoons = 0.33 ounce
    1 teaspoon = 0.17 ounce
    1/2 teaspoon = 0.08 ounce
    1/4 teaspoon = 0.04 ounce

If you move your mouse over the field that says "by volume" after it, you will see in the top section things like "1 tsp" for 1 teaspoon, but it's not as accurate as using the numbers above. The Pool Calculator was written originally for pools and though it will work for spas, it's not as precise in its volumes when using measuring spoons that may have 1/2 teaspoon and 1/4 teaspoon units.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Chem Geek, that is exactly what I needed, I will write this on top of my test kit with a sharpie. I didn't see it on the pool calculator because I was viewing it with this fancy new iPad