Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filters leaking between dome and tank body

1. Back To Top    #1

Granite Bay, CA (Sacramento area)

filters leaking between dome and tank body

A few weeks ago, our filters started leaking water when the pump would prime. Now they leak whenever the pump is at high speed as well. I'm thinking they need new o-rings. Could it be something else?

Is there some way to clean and relube the o-rings to get them to seal better?

Where's the best place to buy new o-rings? If I buy new o-rings, is it better to stick with OEM? Or are there any recommended after market parts?

18,000 gallon IG gunite freeform pool
    Intelliflo VS pump; Hayward SwimClear-C4030 425 sq ft filter; 4x suction PoolCleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: filters leaking between dome and tank body

Inspect the o-rings for tears, stretching, or other signs of deterioration. If they look ok rinse them well with fresh water, rinse any dirt or debris out of the track they rest in, and use some silicone pool lube to help them seal well. Make sure the lid is tightened down well and the o-rings are not getting pinched in the lid.

If the o-rings are damaged, your local pool store should be able to order them if they do not keep them in stock.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

New York, Texas

Re: filters leaking between dome and tank body

It could be as simple as turning the o-rings over ... I have to do this every time I clean ...
    40K gal rectangular IG Gunite ... white plaster ... 20 ft negative edge ... 2 Intelliflo VF 3050 pumps ... 2 Sta-Rite Cartridge filters ... IC60 SWG ... Pentair Thermaflo heat pump