Is it possible for gunite to leak? Fixed...grout issues!?

Re: Is it possible for gunite to leak?

Update, need more advice :(

It took 8 months from the initial concern that we had a leak in our spa to getting it repaired, despite multiple emails with pictures voicing our concerns. In April, they sent someone out here that found two impressive cracks in the mortar in the spillover.

Leaks...
leak.jpg

leak2.jpg

He removed the top level of the spa spillover and reset it.

However, it appears they replaced the top level with a different color mortar and it is more than twice as thick as the other mortar. I specifically remember talking about buff mortar to our PB (to match our house mortar) when we were in the coping phase. I contacted the PB, with pictures yet again. He sent out a new assistant (that I have never met) that agreed it was too thick but said they never use buff mortar (except on weeping walls) and to give it time, it will change colors. I have waited 3+ months and it is still just as noticeable as when they first replaced it. Needless to say, I am unhappy as is my husband. It is very noticeable, even guests have commented about it.

I don't believe it will change colors as I think it is gray mortar vs buff mortar, therefore it will never match, and the thickness is what is so noticeable. It has holes/cracks in it as well, but so far it doesn't leak. My husband sent another email to the PB today and we were told they will send someone from the stone company to see if it is acceptable to their standards but that it will never match because it was laid at two different times. I feel I am being jerked around yet again :evil:

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

Coping that the top right mortar was repaired (gray vs buff?!)

copingrepair.jpg

Re: Is it possible for gunite to leak? Updated, new issues?

Today's water testing...

PH 7.4
FC 4
CC 0.5
TA 100
CH 350
CYA 55
Salt 3050
Temp 80 (easy touch) 84 (water thermometer)

I had turned the pump off for about an hour to let the spillover dry for pictures. When I turned the pump on all of the returns, bubbler and spa started blowing air/water for about a minute. I checked the filter basket after it stopped and it only had two tiny bubbles in it. Any idea what the air out of the returns are from? It produced large enough bubbles similar to the bubbler on the tanning ledge (3-4 inches above the water line under the slide return and 1-2 inches above the water line on the other returns).

Ya know whats really sad? It would take $12 and about an hour to fix that.

JUST GRIND OUT THE SURFACE LAYER OF MORTAR and "repoint" it with the correct color.

We had similar issues with our build on the coping mortar. Very inconsistent color variations from halloween orange to a pretty pink (none of which we wanted... a tan-beige).

The contractor tried everything he could do to get out of it, until a workman finally just got sick of it and fixed it. It took very little time and effort.

Why cant some people just stand behind their work? Why is it like pulling teeth to get them to do what they should?

GRRRRR /rant off

I contacted them again today, to try and explain over the phone what my concerns were. The secretary talked to our PB (because after he received our last check, we can no longer get ahold of him, ironic huh?) and he doesn't remember having that conversation with my husband and I (although we both do). She emailed me the color selections page and it shows gray grout and gray mortar. She said in the email response they always recommend gray with our flagstone. That was signed by me when we picked out tile and stone. The "conversation" happened as they were laying the stone. I don't care what color I have, but I assure you these colors do not match, nor do I believe they will ever match...

colordifference.png

overspill.png

Does anyone else feel these are different colored grout/mortar?

ETA: They did schedule the stone people to come Friday to inspect their work. Now I get to battle with them. I'm not sure I will have a chance since I don't have my PB backing me but we shall see :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.