Can I connect a fountain?

joanna

Dec 3, 2011
Wonder if someone can help me.

I'm relatively new to pool ownership - we have an inground pool that we inherited when we bought the house last year.
But my daughter has seen a pool fountain online and is asking about it for christmas.(despite living in the UK and pool weather being a long way off!) They look great and at about £25 seem quite cheap BUT I'm not sure they will fit on to our pool.

Our water inlet/return line does not look the same as the ones I've seen on photos showing how these connect. Even though they all say, multi-attachment, will fit most pools etc. There is certainly no round hole with the water coming in.

What there is is a flap (excuse my terminology, as I say, I'm totally new to all this), where the water goes in and then the skimmer basket sits directly below that. Under the skimmer basket is a round hole where the water goes down. I fit a vacuum adapter attachment on top of the skimmer basket when I need to hoover.

The water seems to be coming in through a plate attached to the pool wall directly under the skimmer basket flap. This is a rectangular plate that is about 20cm by 5cm and has lots of little holes in it. I have no idea what this is called, sorry.

Can I still attach a basic fountain to my pool? Or is it all just a bit complicated?

Thanks very much!

Hi, welcome to TFP! I have the first two fountains on that link! Those fountains fit on the return inlets. That is where the water returns to the pool after it has been filtered. The opening with the flap you describe is the skimmer. If you use the google search bar at the bottom left of this page and enter "pool return" you should pull up some posts that have pictures of what a return inlet usually looks like.

Joanna, welcome to TFP!!

From your description, it sounds like you have a 'Pool Genie' (if I got the name right, it's a special skimmer that has the return line plumbed into it). I've never seen one but doubt they would accommodate a fountain :(

By any chance do you have a round return inlet in the pool (like, maybe a step return)?

Pictures of the pool and recirculation equipment might enable us to come up with a workable solution to making your daughter's desire for a fountain a reality :-D

You came to the correct place to find the best help with pool questions! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.