Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test kit and Options

1. Back To Top    #1

Test kit and Options

I just signed on my pool contract today and should break ground in a few weeks. I'd like to make sure I get the correct test kit and options to be ready. I know I will order from tftestkits.net. Just want to make sure I get everything I need. I will have a pool with a Aquapure salt cell. I also plan to add borates when I get the chemistry correct.

Here is what I plan to get.

- TF100 (do I need the xl)?
    - Taylor K 1776 salt test?
    - Borates test strips

Am I missing anything? I read through pool school several times and am sure I will have more questions when I start to test my water.
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test kit and Options

I would recommend the XL option. The K-1766 is a good test. I would add a bottle of salt test strips as well. The speed stir is not necessary, but many people find it quite helpful.

http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html
    http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magneti ... r-p56.html
    http://tftestkits.net/Salt-Test-Strips- ... k-p28.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Go ahead and order the speedstir now. Once you use one, there's no going back.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

James - why get both salt tests(taylor & strips)? Looks like I will add the speedstir to the list as well.
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

msujohn,

The XL option was originally intended for folks with green pools who will use a LOT of the two most expensive reagents. However, it is also the cheapest way to get those reagents so a lot of folks order it because it saves a few bucks over reordering costs down the road.

The speedstir, which I originally thought was pretty gimicky, turned out (for me, at least) to be a really neat tool and I would hate to have to go back to swirling the cylinders the way I did for many years. That said, it is absolutely not necessary to perform the tests but it sure makes it more pleasant.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by msujohn
    James - why get both salt tests(taylor & strips)? Looks like I will add the speedstir to the list as well.
    It's probably not necessary to get both. I like to test salt multiple ways because it can be difficult to get consistent results using different tests, but the Taylor should be fine. The AquaPure will also give a reading, so that can be a second result.