Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Six months in one day!

1. Back To Top    #1
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Six months in one day!

The horrendous winds the last couple days did a number on my pool. I have one lemon tree in my yard, but it's looking like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree, and most of what it lost ended up in the pool. I skimmed off what was floating after the first night's winds. It seems like things have settled down, so I raced home from work and started cleaning things up while I still had a little day light. I manually dragged out what I could first.... about ten gallons worth of soggy leaves. Then I hooked up the vacuum and commenced clogging up the strainer basket. I only had to stop and empty it a few times. I'd say I got better than 98% of the stuff out of the pool. It's safe to say that backwashing is going to be needed more than annually this year.

Judging from the pressure rise on the filter, I'd say I picked up six months worth of dirt in one day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Six months in one day!

Hey, Richard,

Y'all have had a mess out there. California has such drastic differences in climate, temps,etc. It is truly a fascinating state.

It's too bad The Big One is going to disconnect you from the mainland and the whole thing is gonna' drift out to sea........I'm not sure whether you'll be an independent nation then or it'll be the "lower 47"

BTW, please leave Yosemite and the Redwoods and Sequoias here with us......perhaps the most stunning places I've ever visited!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

San Diego, CA

Wind? What wind? Down here in my part of SD was anticlimactic. Not that I'm complaining and honestly I hope no one was hurt or sustained any serious damage.

I heard in SLC there were semis being overturned and anything and everything backyard related flying down the freeway including a trampoline.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4
    East Texas

I'll trade you 6 oak trees for one lemon tree. Interested?.............!!!!

I'll even throw in the neighbors 3 pines trees too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Baton Rouge, LA

I have 3 mature cypress I will trade. They are great for clogging up your skimmer!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

6. Back To Top    #6
    Houston, Texas

How about a few 30 foot tall crepe myrtles? They are on my neighbor's side of the fence line and except for this year, their blossoms can clog up a skimmer in no time at all. They are the reason I can't use a timer with my pump. Only good thing about the drought was it kept the crepe myrtles from blooming as much.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!