Rhino lining a pool

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Just throwing this out there: does anyone have a pool like this, or have you considered it? It's just like a plastic bedliner in a pickup truck.

http://www.rhinolinings.ie/swimmingpools.html
http://www.rhinoliningsindustrial.com/p ... d-pw/22/46

Last night I was watching the Mythbusters prove that this stuff is (small) bomb proof when applied to a framed wall :shock: I had heard of this being used to line pools before, but a search of the forum just turns up spdas's pool (see this thread), which is a bit atypical in many ways (it's made out of a shipping container) and so his experience really isn't applicable to most people.

Once I thought about it, my initial impression is that it seems like it would be the perfect coating for a gunite pool. Abrasion- and impact-resistant, easily patched or sanded smooth, non-brittle, no calcium to leach out, etc. It might bleach like a vinyl liner eventually, but hey, white pools are nice too :-D I'm not in any hurry to chip out my pebbletec, but if I needed to replaster I might look into it.

Any of you pros have any experience with this stuff? Anybody know how well polyurethane holds up to chlorine?

It'll probably hold up pretty well but if it's anything like in my truck bed you don't want it in your pool. Also if the cost is comparable, it'd cost as much to Rhino line your pool as it would to re-plaster it.

I wouldn't want the potential risk of that stuff gassing out into my pool. I would also be worried about the adhesion to gunite. I can tell you in a truck if the surface is not perfectly clean and properly prepared, it'll peel off.

I wonder if the texture would be the same? I imagine it's made exceptionally rough and grabby for a bedliner, so stuff doesn't slide around. It looked much smoother in the pool pictures on the rhino site, but it's hard to tell. I agree that having that same texture in your pool would be a rotten idea.

The fading may not be a huge deal, especially if it's a light color to begin with.

My ole' truck has rhino liner and, texture wise, it would make a good pool finish. 12% chlorine applied directly thru spillage over and over is not the same exposure as 3-5ppm. I'll bet the stuff will hold up and, from the pictures, somebody else thinks so to.

I'm gonna speak with them (rhino folks) to see what they know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I saw this thread and while looking into various technologies for re-furbing my 30 year old pool. After looking at their web site I contacted Rhino linings in Europe (Germany) and got a very fast response, on a saturday, from the boss! I was then followed up by a technical guy, sent some photos and measurements and got a very comprehensive reply which detailed the step by step process. This is a very thorough sand blast/acid wash surface prep, by me at my cost, then they come and mask off and spray the material in two coats. So far so good but cost was a serious surprise, not in a good way. It was 100 euro per m2, in my case totalling 18,500 euro, lets call it 20,000 US, maybe climbing to 25,000 US including the surface prep, hiring equipment etc.
This seems to be seriously(or even laughably) high, maybe 50-70% of building a new pool from scratch.
How does this compare with U.S. pricing/ am I crazy or are they crazy? Hard to know sometimes!
Look forward to any opinions you might have,
Cheers
In-Two

I had a spray in liner installed in my pick up about a year ago. The cost for that was $5.55/sq ft. If I apply that to my pool I estimate the cost would be about $8,500 plus surface prep. My pool is vinyl lined and the cost of a new liner is about $2,500 - $3,000 installed (about $2.00/sq ft). I don't what it would cost to have a gunite pool re-surfaced, but I suspect it would be less than $5.55/sq ft.

I have rhino linings in my vans that have been exposed to gas, oil, and cal-hypo spills. So for the black color hasn't even discolored. Speaking of the black color, I know they sell black the most so other colors maybe even white might cost more since it's less popular.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.