Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rhino lining a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Rhino lining a pool

Just throwing this out there: does anyone have a pool like this, or have you considered it? It's just like a plastic bedliner in a pickup truck.

http://www.rhinolinings.ie/swimmingpools.html
    http://www.rhinoliningsindustrial.com/p ... d-pw/22/46

Last night I was watching the Mythbusters prove that this stuff is (small) bomb proof when applied to a framed wall I had heard of this being used to line pools before, but a search of the forum just turns up spdas's pool (see this thread), which is a bit atypical in many ways (it's made out of a shipping container) and so his experience really isn't applicable to most people.

Once I thought about it, my initial impression is that it seems like it would be the perfect coating for a gunite pool. Abrasion- and impact-resistant, easily patched or sanded smooth, non-brittle, no calcium to leach out, etc. It might bleach like a vinyl liner eventually, but hey, white pools are nice too I'm not in any hurry to chip out my pebbletec, but if I needed to replaster I might look into it.

Any of you pros have any experience with this stuff? Anybody know how well polyurethane holds up to chlorine?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rhino lining a pool

It'll probably hold up pretty well but if it's anything like in my truck bed you don't want it in your pool. Also if the cost is comparable, it'd cost as much to Rhino line your pool as it would to re-plaster it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

What is it about your bedliner that makes you not want it in a pool? Texture? And yes I expect it would be at least as expensive as plaster; just curious if it would be more resistant to bad water management.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't want the potential risk of that stuff gassing out into my pool. I would also be worried about the adhesion to gunite. I can tell you in a truck if the surface is not perfectly clean and properly prepared, it'll peel off.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

the rhino lining in one of our ranger's has been completley destroyed from chlorine over the years

6. Back To Top    #6

Robbie - I agree that prep would be key (as with any finish really).
    DBfan - what kind of chlorine? tabs?

7. Back To Top    #7

The texture and fading are the biggest issues.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

liquid, after years of hauling the jugs around you're bound to have some leaky containers

9. Back To Top    #9

I wonder if the texture would be the same? I imagine it's made exceptionally rough and grabby for a bedliner, so stuff doesn't slide around. It looked much smoother in the pool pictures on the rhino site, but it's hard to tell. I agree that having that same texture in your pool would be a rotten idea.

The fading may not be a huge deal, especially if it's a light color to begin with.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

My ole' truck has rhino liner and, texture wise, it would make a good pool finish. 12% chlorine applied directly thru spillage over and over is not the same exposure as 3-5ppm. I'll bet the stuff will hold up and, from the pictures, somebody else thinks so to.

I'm gonna speak with them (rhino folks) to see what they know.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

I saw that Mythbuster show as well...pretty cool stuff. it seems like a do-able option. I wonder how it would work for a deck coating?
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

12. Back To Top    #12

I saw this thread and while looking into various technologies for re-furbing my 30 year old pool. After looking at their web site I contacted Rhino linings in Europe (Germany) and got a very fast response, on a saturday, from the boss! I was then followed up by a technical guy, sent some photos and measurements and got a very comprehensive reply which detailed the step by step process. This is a very thorough sand blast/acid wash surface prep, by me at my cost, then they come and mask off and spray the material in two coats. So far so good but cost was a serious surprise, not in a good way. It was 100 euro per m2, in my case totalling 18,500 euro, lets call it 20,000 US, maybe climbing to 25,000 US including the surface prep, hiring equipment etc.
    This seems to be seriously(or even laughably) high, maybe 50-70% of building a new pool from scratch.
    How does this compare with U.S. pricing/ am I crazy or are they crazy? Hard to know sometimes!
    Look forward to any opinions you might have,
    Cheers
    In-Two
    160,000 litres (42,000 U.S. galls) 15 x 7 metres (53 x 23 feet) hybrid. Concrete floor, glass fibre walls. 1.5 HP Tifon pump, 150 kg (330lb) sand filter. Free form shape (not a straight edge in sight) 30 years old.

13. Back To Top    #13

That is a shocking cost. I never did attempt to learn anything about pricing here.

14. Back To Top    #14

I had a spray in liner installed in my pick up about a year ago. The cost for that was $5.55/sq ft. If I apply that to my pool I estimate the cost would be about $8,500 plus surface prep. My pool is vinyl lined and the cost of a new liner is about $2,500 - $3,000 installed (about $2.00/sq ft). I don't what it would cost to have a gunite pool re-surfaced, but I suspect it would be less than $5.55/sq ft.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

I have rhino linings in my vans that have been exposed to gas, oil, and cal-hypo spills. So for the black color hasn't even discolored. Speaking of the black color, I know they sell black the most so other colors maybe even white might cost more since it's less popular.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp