Helping Neighbor with Re-Plaster Start Up

I hope I'm not thread jacking but I also have some concerns on new plaster start up.
Trying to help a neighbor out actually. Just re-plastered and the company didn't help out with the start up. They just said to add acid to get the PH down.
Been brushing most everyday.
PH wasn't coming down so my neighbor added 3 gallons of acid in one day.
I took a water sample to Leslie pools and they said alkalinity was fine but PH was way off their chart, probably in the 9's. They said to add more acid.
Is there too much acid in the pool? it's about 15,000 gallons.
Did it hurt anything?
Some areas feel rather rough. Some areas feel bumpy but it will brush off with a bit of effort.
The acid was from a local hardware store. Not sure of the brand. Leslie's said it was probably weak acid and less potent than theirs.
Sorry if this is in wrong place.
Thanks for the help.

Hi, welcome to TFP! If the pH is still sky high then there is not too much acid in the pool. You could use the dry acid from Leslie's but it will cost more than using liquid muriatic acid. When buying muriatic acid make sure the strength is 31.45% baume. Any lower % is a weaker acid. Use The Pool Calculator to help determine how much acid is needed.

Welcome to the forum :lol: Sooner or later, you or your neighbor is going to need a good test kit so you can do your own testing. You will find it more reliable and more consistent than going to Leslie's and it is a key to completing the startup and then keeping your water balanced after that.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, we both just have the inexpensive test drop kits. A couple times a year I'll take my water in to Leslies to get it tested but my pool is about 10 years old and no issues other than a possible re-plaster soon due to some popping on the steps.
Any ideas on why the plaster feels rough in areas, mainly jacuzzi? feels more like driveway cement than smooth plaster.
Also those little bumps everywhere that brush off with some effort.
I was worried he put too much acid in during the course of a day. I've never had to do something like that.

Appreciate everyone's help so far.
I've been reading so much stuff the last couple of days, it started to get confusing.
Always helps to just get a straight answer.
I used the pool calculator and added 2 more quarts of acid. I'll check it in a couple hours.

duraleigh said:
If it helps, pH is usually evenly distributed after only about 30 minutes.....1 hour to be safe.
frustrating. Went through another gallon of acid and no change in PH.
The test color was almost red instead of purple so I thought I was gaining ground. I added 2 quarts.
We had a big dust storm so the pool needed a lot of brushing and vacuuming. It was almost an hour by the time I checked PH again. It's as if it went UP.
I added 2 more quarts.
I'll try again today and see what happens.
Getting worried about the calcium scaling with the PH staying so high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.