Bubbles/Foam when T-Cell is producing

Nov 30, 2011
Hi,
I have been trying to solve the following problem for months to no avail...maybe you have some insight.

-When my salt system (Hayward T-15) is producing, millions of tiny bubbles begin to flow out of the pool/spa discharges. These bubbles rise to the top of the pool and form a foam. An hour or so after the chlorine generator stops, the bubbles pop and the foam disappears. If I have my spa running, a thick bathtub like foam forms and runs out of the pool. I have explained this problem and to several pool experts. Some say that my pool chemistry is off. I have it checked weekly by Leslies...other than slight variations in chlorine, acid, and phosphate levels, there seams to not really be a problem. I have used an algecide in the past but haven't added any for weeks. When the salt system is not operating, the pool is clear.
It also appears that I may have some sort or air leak in my system. When the pump is running I hear bubbles crackling though the piping near the filter. The sound stops when I divert my return water from pool/spa to just spa. This is confusing to me as well, and I not sure if it plays a part in the foam/bubble situation. Someone suggested that the valve that I turn to divert water from pool to spa must have a leak. I took the valve apart, seals look good, and it seems to be operating properly. I don't have leaks from my piping, i'm not loosing pool water.
If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Blayne

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 130
I have used an algecide in the past but haven't added any for weeks.
Welcome to the forum :lol:
It's pretty common for foam to be the result of a non-polyquat algecide. It is also fairly common for the SWG to produce lots of tiny air bubbles but they usually dissipate at the surface and don't cause any foam. Eliminating any further use of the algecide would be my first suggestion

Simply shocking your pool with the correct amount of chlorine will probably clear up the foaming problem. If you can please post your test results for pH, TA, CH, FC, and CYA we can have a better idea of how much chlorine you'll need.

Also tell us the city, state in which you live so we can have an idea of the climate your pool is in.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. I've been out of town and unable to reply. I checked my pool two days ago and have the following readings:
free chlorine- 1ppm
total chlorine 1ppm
salt- 3100
calcium hardness- 420ppm
cyanuric acid- 60ppm
total alkalinity- 100ppm
ph- 7.4
phosphates- 100ppm

I live in huntington beach, ca. my pool is approx 20k gallons.

Thanks for any and all information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.