High Chlorine and Ph

Nov 30, 2011
I reside in northern California my pool was recently build today was the last day that the pool company came and check the water numbers. I don't know the test results they got but i recently took them and my pH is 7.8 and my chlorine levels i could not read it because the color was orange (that means really high right ?). My pool system has the IntelliChlor®
Salt Chlorinator, no salt has been added but i don't think that's the problem. I have no clue what to do.

Thanks
Melvin

Hi, welcome to TFP! Did the builder leave any instructions on caring for the new plaster? The chlorine level will come down on its own. What are you using to test the water? Please post any current test results you may have. Read through the New plaster start up article and let us know where your pool is in this process.

Like Richard said, very high chlorine can throw off the pH reading, making the pH results unreliable.

The oto test only measures up to 5ppm chlorine, all you know is your chlorine is above that. It would be worth your while to invest in a better test kit, like the taylor or TFtest kits with the DPD-FAS chlorine test. With them, you'll be able to get more precise measurements on chlorine levels. Not to mention, you'll be able to test other relevant factors like CH, TA and CYA. Posting those test result will help us (and you) diagnose problems.

The pool was done 10-22-11. the builder informed us that we had to wait three weeks for the chemicals to balance. that time has past and still the chemicals are high. Im going to run to a pool supply a pick up one of the kits you guys mention and go from there.

Thank you
Melvin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.