Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Chlorine and Ph

1. Back To Top    #1

High Chlorine and Ph

I reside in northern California my pool was recently build today was the last day that the pool company came and check the water numbers. I don't know the test results they got but i recently took them and my pH is 7.8 and my chlorine levels i could not read it because the color was orange (that means really high right ?). My pool system has the IntelliChlor®
    Salt Chlorinator, no salt has been added but i don't think that's the problem. I have no clue what to do.

Thanks
    Melvin
    16,000 gallon. raised spa 800 gallons
    Filter Sta-rite 450MM
    Circulation pump Sta-rite Vs-3050
    In Ground Plaster
    IntelliChlor®
    Salt Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Chlorine and Ph

Hi, welcome to TFP! Did the builder leave any instructions on caring for the new plaster? The chlorine level will come down on its own. What are you using to test the water? Please post any current test results you may have. Read through the New plaster start up article and let us know where your pool is in this process.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

One thing to know is that high chlorine will throw off the color of the pH test. So don't trust the pH reading.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Like Richard said, very high chlorine can throw off the pH reading, making the pH results unreliable.

The oto test only measures up to 5ppm chlorine, all you know is your chlorine is above that. It would be worth your while to invest in a better test kit, like the taylor or TFtest kits with the DPD-FAS chlorine test. With them, you'll be able to get more precise measurements on chlorine levels. Not to mention, you'll be able to test other relevant factors like CH, TA and CYA. Posting those test result will help us (and you) diagnose problems.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool was done 10-22-11. the builder informed us that we had to wait three weeks for the chemicals to balance. that time has past and still the chemicals are high. Im going to run to a pool supply a pick up one of the kits you guys mention and go from there.

Thank you
    Melvin
    16,000 gallon. raised spa 800 gallons
    Filter Sta-rite 450MM
    Circulation pump Sta-rite Vs-3050
    In Ground Plaster
    IntelliChlor®
    Salt Chlorinator

6. Back To Top    #6

It's very unlikely that the pool store will have the Taylor K-2006 kit that you need. You can either get that kit online or can get the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net that uses the Taylor reagents but has a more logical and economical amount of them.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"