Central Texas winter

Feb 9, 2011
Central Texas
What do all you Central Texans do to your pool over winter? I am in the Austin area, and seems all my neighbors just keep things the way they are in the summer. I have noticed a dramatic reduction in chlorine consumption, and have dialed back the pump times a bit.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Run it a few hours a day and keep chlorine in it just like over the summer. It should take much less chlorine to hold the same levels.
Your equipment should have have a freeze sensor to turn the pumps on when it is freezing out - it won't get cold enough in Tx to make flowing water freeze.

So, how much can I back off the pump?
The answer is, "As much as you want to". Simply run your pool pump as long as it takes to keep the water reasonably clean.

I started with a run time of about 10 hours daily as summer faded and am now down to only 3.5 hours daily. I also run the robot every other day because I get a lot of debris that sinks so the robot is helping keep the water clean somewhat.

So, pick a run time that makes sense to you and see how your pool behaves. If it stays sparkling clear, you may decide to cut it back some more.

I live in the Dallas area. I make mine run from 12am - 4am. I have built in freeze protection that kicks on at 34 degrees. I figured I dont want the pool to run during the day and then run again at night when/if the freeze protection kicks in. The water seems too cold to eat through tabs very quickly. But then again, you dont really need as much for the same reason.

I'm also running mine from 12-4. I manually keep an eye on it when things get really cold, but even in that brutally cold winter we had last year I had no issues. My pool equipment is enclosed though, that cetainly helped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.