Gel Coat issue with waxing over blue fiberglass

Sep 16, 2011
I am curious if anyone has had any issues with fiber glass pool gel coat on bottom and steps. When the water is put in it waxes over with a white surface. they removed the wax and re-geled. Wax is coving the spots where rain water is again. The pool is empty and they are saying, put water in and take wax off again. They are saying wax...i want to know if anyone has ever seen this or knows what needs to be done. Something is not adding up with this build up.

is there a Gel issue?

What make of pool?

There shouldn't be any wax, ever. If it doesn't easily wipe off and is slightly rough to the touch, it is likely to be a calcium deposit.

What have you been using to test the water chems and what are the levels for FC, CC or TC, Alk, CH, and CYA for both the pool and you fill water?

Any leaks?

Scott

The pool was installed in July.. fiberglass 16x38. When it filled. it waxed over white and the color is Medterran. BLue....they are saying wax...Thye seem to think the gel coat is bad.. they sanded the wax off an put new get coat blue on..pool empty...some rain now and its waxing over the blue...there are saying when they put the new coat down, most likely not enoght wax...waiting on expert Gel chemis others to let me know the next step....I am very upset..thanks for reponding

Re the wax and the Fiberglass: You are being sold a pup.

Staring Wax is added to some Gelcoats by the manufactures, it should not give you the problems you are encountering. It helps with releasing the pool shell from the mould, another thing that it also can do is prevent the surface of that beautiful pool today from being re-coated, the beautiful pool today is like you a I we and it will will fade over time and is hard to be given a makeover,

Sometimes the Fiberglass pool should be treated as a kitchen you throw them out and re install so it raises the question is concrete better in the long run.

I am a repairer, builder and designer have been involved in all aspects of swimming pools and the worst pools are still being built with all sorts of claims by the Salesman there are even blog sites that trash any comments to the contary about there product, so to sum up ask the salesman what type of pool he has?

By the way has your Pool got a Hydrostatic Valve installed to stop it from floating?

Kiwi Norman

I have the same gel coat issue. Turned white and the consistency of bubblegum. Manufacturer has redone the coat 3 times. As soon as water hit it to turns white. Any idea what is causing this?