Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clorox Off the shelf % help what kind to use?

1. Back To Top    #1

Clorox Off the shelf % help what kind to use?

I have been using just the least expensive grocery store clorox I can find assuming it was all 6% strength. Had the wife pick some up to shock the pool with today and low and behold it said right on the front that it was 2.75%. I have looked on jugs before and have seen nothing that calls out the strength so I thought it was just not required to sate the strength on the jug. Surprised I just assumed all the stuff you get in the grocery store is 6%. That obviously is not the case. My question is what brand should I be looking for to get the 6% strength? What do you all use? Thanks for any help.
    27 foot round above ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clorox Off the shelf % help what kind to use?

I've seen this before, and learned to always check the label for strength, and I will never buy any that didn't state the concentration on the bottle. I recommend to look for 5-6%, and get the cheapest one in regular unscented. Many of our members find that WalMart/SamsClub brand is their best deal.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for that information! I was just eading that many use the Great Value Walmart brand. Also some said Sams Club had good deal on Chlorox. I may check them also.
    27 foot round above ground

4. Back To Top    #4

While Clorox® Regular in the U.S. is 6% and says in the ingredients "Sodium Hypochlorite ..... 6.0%" and also says "Yields 5.7% available chlorine", off-brand regular bleaches are usually weak, typically 3% or less. It is off-brand Ultra bleaches that are usually 6% though not often marked with their concentration.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Regarding your question about brand, Walmart's brand is also 6% according to the ingredients label. Also, if I remember right Aldi's brand also says 6%. But like the others have said, take a look at the label to be sure.

I'm not endorsing either of these brands, for me liquid chlorine is liquid chlorine. I tend choose whatever is the cheapest by percent/volume (sometimes you have to a little math to find the best deal, but I crunch numbers for a living and love it). Sometimes, its Chlorox other times it Walmart or Aldi's. Occasionally, its liquid chlorine.

With that said, there are times, I'll pay a bit more for convince. Walmart is right around the corner from my house. Also, the 12% stuff is great, if you can get it cheap. You don't have to add as much by volume to get the same effect.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

6. Back To Top    #6

I did the calculations during the summer. You are better off just buying liquid chlorine (12%) at the pool store . It comes out about even if you were to buy the equivalent in bleach (6%). Plus you dont have to lug around as many bottles.
    13,500 Gal / DE / IG / Gunite

7. Back To Top    #7

Depends on if you can get it. We can't get 12% in Texas.

I have found off-brands that are 6%, but you have to be really careful.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!