Clorox Off the shelf % help what kind to use?

Oct 10, 2011
I have been using just the least expensive grocery store clorox I can find assuming it was all 6% strength. Had the wife pick some up to shock the pool with today and low and behold it said right on the front that it was 2.75%. I have looked on jugs before and have seen nothing that calls out the strength so I thought it was just not required to sate the strength on the jug. Surprised I just assumed all the stuff you get in the grocery store is 6%. That obviously is not the case. My question is what brand should I be looking for to get the 6% strength? What do you all use? Thanks for any help.

I've seen this before, and learned to always check the label for strength, and I will never buy any that didn't state the concentration on the bottle. I recommend to look for 5-6%, and get the cheapest one in regular unscented. Many of our members find that WalMart/SamsClub brand is their best deal.

While Clorox® Regular in the U.S. is 6% and says in the ingredients "Sodium Hypochlorite ..... 6.0%" and also says "Yields 5.7% available chlorine", off-brand regular bleaches are usually weak, typically 3% or less. It is off-brand Ultra bleaches that are usually 6% though not often marked with their concentration.

Regarding your question about brand, Walmart's brand is also 6% according to the ingredients label. Also, if I remember right Aldi's brand also says 6%. But like the others have said, take a look at the label to be sure.

I'm not endorsing either of these brands, for me liquid chlorine is liquid chlorine. I tend choose whatever is the cheapest by percent/volume (sometimes you have to a little math to find the best deal, but I crunch numbers for a living and love it). Sometimes, its Chlorox other times it Walmart or Aldi's. Occasionally, its liquid chlorine.

With that said, there are times, I'll pay a bit more for convince. Walmart is right around the corner from my house. Also, the 12% stuff is great, if you can get it cheap. You don't have to add as much by volume to get the same effect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.