Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any point to a skimmer sock when you have a sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any point to a skimmer sock when you have a sand filter?

I understand people using skimmer socks to keep stuff out of their cartridge filter, but is there any value to using one with a sand filter?

From what I searched, the sock won't trap any better than your sand filter would.

I'm still going to try adding some DE to my sand filter as many people reported an improved clarity of the water, just wondering if the sock would just add more effort without the results, in fact wouldn't a sock add more risk as it requires you to possibly maintain it daily and if clogged enough could result in your pump running dry?

So I'm the fence, looking forward to the feedback.
    18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 2 speed 1HP Hayward pump SP2607X102S. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control, Pentair 7845xx02 light.
    TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Stirrer, Pool Chemist in training.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Any point to a skimmer sock when you have a sand filter?

All a skimmer sock does is keep the junk from getting in your filter, meaning you have to backwash less. It won't help with clarity.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden