Upgrading Pool Equipment....

I am going to be changing out my 2 HP Hayward Super Pump and am thinking about going with a Variable Speed pump. I see most companies carry Variable Speed and Variable Flow both with Safety Vaccuum Release options. Would a Variable Flo pump with Vaccum release be overkill :hammer: for my residential pool in MD? Does any law mandate I have a variable speed or Vaccum Release for that matter?

Any recommendations on which manufacturer has best pump on market? Intelliflo by Pentair was brought to my attention...Does it matter I have Hayward Valve and Hayward Filter? :party:

Variable speed pumps are not normally worth the extra up front costs when you live in places with reasonable electric rates like MD. You are probably better off getting a two speed pump, which is much less expensive and saves about 3/4 or better of what a variable speed wills ave when run on low speed, for a net savings over the life of the pump. Variable speed pumps are better deals in places like most of CA where electric rates are over $0.20/kwh.

There is no requirement for variable speed pumps anywhere. There are occasionally requirements for automatic vacuum release, depending on how your plumbing is configured, though that is relatively unusual in a residential pool.

If you have an automation system you want to get a variable speed pump from the same company as your automation system. If you don't have an automation system the IntelliFlo and EcoStar are both good choices. IntelliFlo has been around longer and is generally just slightly better regarded, while the EcoStar is a bit more efficient at low speeds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.