New to pools and trouble with water flow

pchow

Nov 27, 2011
I have an IG plaster pool/spa w/ 2 hp single speed pump and 60 gallon DE filter. When I cycle from pool to pool, everything works great. When I suction from pool or spa and return to spa, I don't get good suction and my spa jets don't work. And, my heater works on pool to pool but from pool or spa to spa, it doesn't work. Pump works great, filter cleaned out. What do I do? Thanks!!

It sounds like a blockage on the return side, somewhere between the valve and the spa. Do the jets turn on and off individually? If so, check to be sure they're open. If they turn but you're not sure which direction is on and which is off, turn half of them clockwise and the other half ccw. Open the valve on the return side and visually inspect it to make sure there are no blockages and that the handle is properly aligned with the guts.

(edit for safety!) DO THE FOLLOWING WITH THE PUMP OFF! Turn the breaker off to your equipment so the pump cannot come on while you are doing this! (end edit -Lershac, moderator)

Removing the top of the valve is pretty simple. Start by removing the handle. There's a plastic retainer screw in the center of the valve on top of the handle that holds it on. Then there will be 8 phillips head screws around the cap. Use a large phillips head (#3) so you don't strip the heads of the screws trying to remove them. Make note of what position the top is in. There are stops on it for the handle so you'll need to put it back in the same position. Once they're all out you'll likely need a flathead screwdriver or something to wedge between the top of the valve and the body so you can gently pry the top off. There's on o-ring inside of the top half that you'll need to keep track of.

Once you've removed the top take note of how the gate of the valve is oriented relative to the handle and how it closes off one position vs. another. Inspect the face of the gate itself to make sure it's not mangled. The condition you described could occur if the gate was closing off the inlet pipe instead of the spa return plumbing, so make sure the handle position corresponds to what you think it does.

Everything in reverse to put it back together. Be sure not to overtighten the screws.

As for the spa jets, some jets have built in diverter valves which allow you to close off flow to that particular jet. Usually it just requires a 1/4 turn on the outside face of the jet. Jets like this will look more along the lines of these jets as opposed to the standard pool eyeball fitting.

Thanks!! This worked - sort of... Now the suction from the pool and return to the spa work - BUT there is only water pressure from the jet (eyeball fitting) and no bubbles. Is this when I fill the pool or use it as a skateboard area?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.