Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help me choose a SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

help me choose a SWG

Hi guys,

In the spring I am planning on installing a SWG because my pool runs through a gallon of chlorine/day during the summer and dealing with the expense and holding the inventory is getting old.

A couple of questions for you.

Given my pool size and my typical run time of only 6 hrs/day on the pool pump, which specific SWG would you recommend? Are there other things needed other than the SWG unit and salt for the pool?
    Really my only criteria are reliability/longevity, ability to turn it down to an appropriate level during the winter. I have a feeling there is a lot I don't know about running one of these bad boys so I'm looking for specific recommendations to the extent that you can give them!

Also, I'm pretty handy, is this something I can attempt myself or is it worth paying someone to do it?
    Thanks guys!!!
    28,000 gallons / Plaster / Hayward 30" Sand Filter / PoolCleaner 4x / PoolSkim / Hayward RS1500 / CircuPool RJ60

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help me choose a SWG

Pentair IC-60. It has the capacity. You already know the chemistry. It won't change.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

I've installed the Compupool CPSC48 and I've been happy with the performance. The price was right also.
    Here's a link to my install:http://www.troublefreepool.com/cpsc4...ll-t32089.html
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't recommend the IC-60 unless you have a Pentair automation system. Without an automation system it only provides very coarse 20% adjustment steps.

The CompuPool units are very reasonably priced and have a good reliability record. It is also worth looking at the AquaRite.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Will the IC-60 produce more chlorine in a shorter run time than the smaller units?

I ask this due to the fact that dombey needs a full gallon of chlorine everyday during the summer. I have to run my Jandy 1400 unit 15 hours a day at 80% output to keep up with my chlorine demand. My wife teaches lessons all day long and that just eats up our chlorine. Being in California our electric rates are high and we were paying $180 more a month this summer to run the pool. The lessons more than made up for that though.

What I'm getting at is this; will dombey have to have a significant longer on time with the smaller cell or will he be better off with the larger cell? With my limited knowledge, the larger IC-60 cell might be the best option.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's a couple links that attempt to compare outputs of different SWCG.
    http://faq.poolforum.com/products/sa...ators-compared
    http://www.discountsaltpool.com/Full...Comparison.htm

Couple of things to keep in mind:
    1. Pump run time. SWCG only runs if you have water moving (pump on) If you only run your pump 8 hours a day that"s 1/3 of the day.
    2. SWCG have a fixed life span. They will only produce so much chlorine before they need to have the plates replaced. Think of beer can, it has 12 ounces, you can guzzle it down all at once or stretch it out over time. (not the best analogy) but hopefully you'll get the idea. Approximately if it will last 2 years at 100% theoretically it should last 4 years at 50% output.
    3. Bigger is better to a point. The daily output is rated for 24 hours. I think most people only run their pump 8 - 12 hours a day so they tend to up size the SWCG to compensate the hourly output. It's easier/cheaper to turn down the output than increase the pump run time.

Usually the cost to go up in size is only a couple hundred dollars. Which if it increases the life of the cell because you can run lower production levels. It works out to be cost effective. Also if you need to boost up the level it's there. Some SWCG have a boost function to increase the chlorine production but I feel it's better to use liquid bleach at those times. (Unexpected high bather load or when you want to to shock.) The greatest thing is it maintains a steady level of chlorine in the pool. So you don't have to shock because the chlorine level got too low.

I don't sell compupool I have one and like it. Here's a link to the company with output levels.http://www.compupoolproducts.com/pro..._cleaning.html
    I'm not but it looks like the CPSC48
    Chlorine output: 2.5 lb / day (1.1 kg / day)
    Running Cost: 460 Watt / 1.5 amp
    Suitable for pools up to 60,000 gallons (250,000 litres)

CPSC36
    Chlorine output: 1.9 lb / day (0.85 kg / day)
    Running Cost: 320 Watt / 1.2 amp
    Suitable for pools up to 40,000 gallons (160,000 litres)
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida