leaving mechanical timer motor running during off-season ?

May 10, 2009
Youngsville NC
Ok - so I use one of the Intermatic T104 mechanical timers on my pool pump. Is there any thought as to if it is better to leave the timer motor running all winter, or just keep the power secured at the breaker like I have now ? My pump is unplugged and disconnected and in storage until it's time to open it again.

Re: leaving mechanical timer motor running during off-season

Leaving it off is the preferred thing to do. It doesn't hurt it to stay on but everything has a finite life and you're using it up if you leave it powered.

I can't prove it's better, but after a few experiences where motors failed to start in the Spring I started leaving the timer connected all winter. I have yet to have one fail since I started doing this, although I started over with a whole new pool (and timer) when the last one had about ten years of continuous use. The current one has been on continuously since 2004. My theory is that corrosion is the enemy, and continuous use keeps bearing surfaces corrosion free and motor heat from friction fights moisture accumulation. Truth is, in the 40 years I have had Intermatic timers in service at this location, I have never had one fail mid-season. It was always at Spring start-up.

How ironic - I ask this then go turn the power on (to make sure it's still working) - and motor not turning at this time. Oh well - the switch is working, and I have until April / May to get a replacement if needed.

So last night when I was farting around with it , I shot it with some WD40. Went out to the shed this morning, flipped the breaker on - and it's running. I think I'll leave it running unless I have a reason to power it off for maintenance or something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.