CYA Reducer

I have spoken to the man that developed this and to the president of the company that manufactures O Ace Sis products. (I work in an ACE pool department--a full service one). It is basically melamine and a clarifier (I suspect chitosan based) along with some other proprietary ingredients. I was told it has about 6 different ingredients. I was also told that it was not practical to use if you need to lower the CYA by more than 20-30 ppm! Needless to say, we don't carry it where I work!

duraleigh said:
I've heard it was pricey, pricey, pricey....to the point of impractical.

really. my cya (no joke) is hovering at a guesstimate of 250, its like 1/2 inch and the little dot goes away.

but i read that i need to drain and refill. thats also very pricy for me, extimate almost 2500. is the O-asis still impratical, or should i use it?

The way it's supposed to work is that the melamine forms an insoluble complex with CYA. This then needs to be filtered out and removed by backwashing. So, you must follow the instructions for running and backwashing the filter exactly. Even then, results seem to be very mixed. I tried it last year and it did absolutely nothing.

With that much CYA in your pool, you will need 8-10 gal of the CYA remover. This will cost $400-$500 and it may not lower the CYA at all. You said draining and refilling will cost $2500, but will definitely work. So, at a time like this you have to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?

Like I said, the manufacturer of it said it is only worthwhile if you only have to lower the CYA by a small amount. He told me that if you have to make a large change then to drain and refill. (He also said this in a workshop I went to about O Ace Sis products to everyone present, about 20 people or so.)

Also be aware that if your CYA is extremely high it may have deposited in your plumbing and on the surface of your pool and as you lower the level by water changes it will start to redissolve so it looks like your CYA is not lowering at all at first.

waterbear said:
Like I said, the manufacturer of it said it is only worthwhile if you only have to lower the CYA by a small amount. He told me that if you have to make a large change then to drain and refill. (He also said this in a workshop I went to about O Ace Sis products to everyone present, about 20 people or so.)

Also be aware that if your CYA is extremely high it may have deposited in your plumbing and on the surface of your pool and as you lower the level by water changes it will start to redissolve so it looks like your CYA is not lowering at all at first.

since i have opened i have not used the inline clorinator and have been using bleach, but still use the bag o shocks to shock it, it was not bad at all, just a little cloudy in the deep end. but what im gunna do right now is stop using CYA all together and see if our 80* sunny days can help reduce it.

thanks for the info!! :-D

said it someware else on here, but as the season kicks in i plan on switching to an SWG along with an intelliflo and new DE filter.

HA HA HA IM AN IDIOT!!!!

i have been out of town, so i called my son and asked him to test it. he called me back and said the cya is 70, i said WHAT test it again, he did and said its 70 still, so i asked him if he was doing it right, and he read me step by step what he did. and when he said he added the liquid to the pool water i said what liquid, it should be a pouder, and he said the pouder is for clorine, thats when i realised it was so foggy because i was putting the clorine powder in there. so every think is ok, other than there is NO clorine in the pool, he said not even one drop and it was clear. so i guess i need to add some when i get home.

crabboy said:
Boy did he save you a ton of money. Don't be surprised if you're asked to sponsor the keg floating party in your pool.

knowing him im sure he already did that with out me. :lol: :shock:

a while back he and his brother rigged a pully rope system, and attached one end to the ATV and another end to a pool float. so one would gun the atv and the other would ride on the pool float, it was fun until um their mother got home. o yea and stopping the pool float was an issue. :?

basicly they had a pully rigged on the diving board and the atv went sideways to the pool. since the pool is so long it was a preety fun ride.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.