Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: is cost the only reason for smaller pump

1. Back To Top    #1

is cost the only reason for smaller pump

Hi I was given 1.5 HP Jacuzzi pump and was reading that a smaller pump is better. Is this only because of cost? I pay 0.059 kwh at off peak 0.089 kwh at mid and 0.107 kwh at peak, would it be worth getting a smaller pump? At those rates how much would I actually save?
    Intex Ultra Frame 14 x 42 3500 gals
    Intex SWG combo unit (2000 gph), screen door screening around cartridge:-).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: is cost the only reason for smaller pump

It depends on many things. The size of the pool, what kind of plumbing and features you have, which filter you have etc..
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a 250 pound sand filter it will be going on an intex either 16 foot round by 48 deep or a 18 round by 48 deep. No features and the plumbing will be 1.5 inch hoses.

4. Back To Top    #4

That pump is probably too big. Your filter more than likely can't handle the flow.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

The general philosophy here is that
    A - bigger filter is better
    B - smaller pump (as long as it does at least one turnover / 24 hours) is better, because slower will filter better, and should use less energy .What makes a 2 speed pump so popular is that they actually do this - use the high speed for clearing the skimmer / cleaning, and the low speed most of the time for basic filtering / water circulation.

You also don't want too large a pump because it could damage the rest of your pool equipment, or even the pool itself.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    That pump is probably too big. Your filter more than likely can't handle the flow.
    The pair are a set that came together, do you think the company themselves would put a mismatched set together? Sorry for the dump questions I am just starting out and trying to learn.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by scooperhsd
    The general philosophy here is that
    A - bigger filter is better
    B - smaller pump (as long as it does at least one turnover / 24 hours) is better, because slower will filter better, and should use less energy .What makes a 2 speed pump so popular is that they actually do this - use the high speed for clearing the skimmer / cleaning, and the low speed most of the time for basic filtering / water circulation.

You also don't want too large a pump because it could damage the rest of your pool equipment, or even the pool itself.
    According to this the best thing would be to use one of those small intex 530gph pump and Jimmy it to a huge sand filter, right ?

8. Back To Top    #8

The Intex 530 gph pump is too small to vacuum reliably and effectively.

If your 1.5 HP pump is designed for above ground pools and it is already paid for and can not be returned, then you are probably better off just keeping it. In-ground pumps are usually stronger for the same HP, and likely to be too large. But an above-ground pump is usually relatively small for it's labeled HP. At your electric rates, switching pumps will not make up the loss of a working pump you have already paid for in electrical savings.

If you do have the opportunity to return or exchange the pump, then I recommend getting the smallest two speed pump you can find, likely either 3/4 HP or 1 HP. Low speed will save electricity and high speed will be around for times when you need it, like vacuuming.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

From the picture of the label from my pump can anybody tell me what the service factor of this pump would be?
    http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad ... r_15969997

10. Back To Top    #10

So I took the cover off to check the miter plate and SF is left blank there are just 4 lines after it, any ideas?

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm having trouble reading your photo. Does it say 10 Amps, or something like that? A 10 amp 120 volt motor is fairly small. A 3/4 HP Pentair Dynamo pump draws 9.2 amps at 120 volts.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok so the plate on the pump reads 1.5 HP 115v 60hz 10.6a
    On the motor plate it reads 1.5hp spf 115v 12.0 amps also says amb 40 * C and SF ____

13. Back To Top    #13

If the service factor is not shown, it usually means that it is close to 1.0. What is your interest in the service factor?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

14. Back To Top    #14

I'd like to figure out what to actual HP of the pump is?
    HP shown X SF

15. Back To Top    #15

Why do you need to know THP? The "size" of the pump is only loosly associated with THP. The head curve is what really tells you the size of the pump. Two pump's with the same THP can have vastly different head curves. This is especially true of AG pumps vs IG pumps.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

16. Back To Top    #16

Sorry I am new to this, I am just trying to figure out how energy efficient this pump is and if it is too big for my 18 foot round by 48" intex pool.

17. Back To Top    #17

Most any single speed pump is going to be an energy hog. If the motor is rated at 12 amps, you know it probably will not draw more than that so less than 1400 watts. A smaller pump would be more energy efficient but a two speed would be much more efficient.

As for if it is too big for the pool, from an energy standpoint, I would say yes. However, it is matched with the filter so it is probably ok for at least the filter. Most sand filters can handle a lot of flow rate although it is not ideal for filtering.

So it is really up to you if you want to replace the pump. A two speed would probably pay for itself over the life of the pump but it could take several years for break even depending on the cost of the new pump.
    Mark

18. Back To Top    #18

Was told by the local pool store that if I was going to add solar panels for heating that I would need at least a 1.5 pump, any truth to this?

19. Back To Top    #19

It depends on the height of the panels and the pump model. If the panels are on the ground, any pump will do. The higher the panels, the higher the head curve must be. But most IG pumps can handle a two story installation. However, some of the smaller low head AG pumps will not. A rule of thumb is that the pump head curve should reach at least twice height of the installation at 40 GPM.

I use a 1/2 HP (0.5) IG pump with panels at a height of 25' above the pump. Panels prime quickly and vacuum release remains closed even when I bypass some of the water.
    Mark