new pool closing

Oct 11, 2011
Hi
I'm new to this forum but have done some reading on it.
I have a new gunite pool in New York so it's getting closing time. I have read that the plaster is supposed to cure under water for a year. Don't know how accurate this is but it's what I have read.
I have 4 or 5 inch slate tiles around the water line and the guy who installed it said keep the water below the slate in the winter or they will break.
So if I drain the pool below the skimmers and water feeds to blow out lines I will be exposing the plaster which is about 5 months old now.
Is that ok ??
Is it true the slate will crack if the water creeps up there durring the winter ?
Does anyone in a northern climate not close their pool and just run the pump every now and then ?
I would appreciate any advice bacause I'm not sure how to handle this.
Thank You, Tom

Ice expands, and so if it expands against the tile and any voids exist in the thin set or in the tile, the pressure can chip or crack them.

A little exposed plaster below the tiles is not going to hurt it.

All water in the lines must be blown out and sealed. The main drain gets air locked while blowing. This ensures ice can't form in the plumbing. That would create freeze cracks. That would be very bad.

The skimmer should have something to absorb the pressure when the water in it freezes. Most use a device called a Gizmo or a blow through extension. These seal the skimmer line and allow ice to squeeze it instead of the walls of the skimmer, potentially cracking it.

All water must be drained from the equipment too.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.