Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about my first shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about my first shock?

I decided to shock my pool for the first time. This morning, my FC was .5, and my CC was 3.

I have a SWG, and my CYA is at 80, so I planned to bring my FC up to 30.

I added enough bleach to bring it to about 24, but had to run to the store to get more.. it is only 5 minutes away.

Before adding more bleach, I decided to test again. It has been about 20 minutes since I added the first bit. My FC is at 16, and my CC is at .5

Should I continue to bring the FC all the way up to 30, or since my cc is .5, am I done?

Thanks
    15,800 Gallon, IG, Pebble Finish. Pentair VS+SVRS Main Pump, WhisperFlo 3 HP Waterfall Pump, IC-40, Quad DE-100 Filter, Easytouch Controls

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about my first shock?

Was your decision to shock based only on the 3 ppm of CC? If you have visible algae you need to bring the pool to shock level and keep it there until you pass the overnight test.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I shocked only based on the CC level. The water was clear, and is clear now.
    15,800 Gallon, IG, Pebble Finish. Pentair VS+SVRS Main Pump, WhisperFlo 3 HP Waterfall Pump, IC-40, Quad DE-100 Filter, Easytouch Controls

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, I would keep it at the current FC level but go ahead and run the overnight test to make sure there is no latent algae waiting for the FC to drop low enough for it to bloom.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, that is what I will do.

6. Back To Top    #6

Shocking is a process not a chemical or weekly or monthly treatment. If you maintain good chlorine levels you might not have to shock.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

I know pool stores sell stuff they call shock. The active ingredient is 65-70% Calcium Hypochlorite. In simple form it's concentrated chlorine.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

And added calcium, which your pool most likely doesn't need, and can cause scaling if the calcium gets too high.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!