Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reduce Pump hours over Winter

1. Back To Top    #1

San Diego California

Reduce Pump hours over Winter

This is my first winter with our pool. Now that the water temp is 60F or slightly lower, and I don't expect it to come up fro many months, can I reduce the number of hours the pump runs every day?

I have a 2HP pump running for 5 hours per day in the summer and had no issue with the BBB method. Can I cut this back to 3 or 4 hours? Even less?

IG, 13,000 gal, concrete, DE, VS Intelliflo Pump, Intellichlor SWG

San Diego, Ca.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Reduce Pump hours over Winter

I have a 1/2 HP and run mine about 2 hours per day in the winter. You could probably get away with an hour but you may need to experiment some. Because of the reduced run time, the surface will probably have lower FC than the deeper parts so as you reduce run time keep an eye on FC on the surface and make sure it doesn't get too low although you can get away with lower FC as the pool temps drop. A good time to check is right before the pump schedule starts.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

I'm with the above, you can probably get away with 2, but you might reduce it bit by bit to see what happens. I never close my pool, and I have a serious problem with leaves this time of year, so I still run mine at least 4 hours a day.

Sounds to me like you have a much more powerful pump than I do, on a much smaller pool. 2 hours may be enough!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Deep South

During winters in the deep south - I do just the opposite with all maintained pools - ie. deliberately up the runtime but reduce the speed - for my own pool I run 24 hr/7 day schedule @ 95 watts of power

5. Back To Top    #5
    Southeast VA

I cut our back to 4 hours a day too until I officially close the pool.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit