Closing in-ground pool in Florida?

cflannagan

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2011
Palm Harbor, Florida
Would like to close the pool till next season - it's a in-ground pool, inside pool enclosure (all-around screenings to keep bugs out). We do not have pool cover.

What is necessary for me to maintain this pool through the closed season? Do I need to maintain the same levels of chlorine, TA, pH, etc like during the normal swimming season, or do I do anything differently?

First time maintaining this pool during closed season - last year I hired pool service.

I am assuming the room is screened and not fully enclosed.

Your filtering time can be reduced. your chlorine demand will drop as the water temp drops. You will need to run the pump when temps are near or below freezing, typically not much of an issue in the southern part of the state but can happen more frequently in the northern 2/3s of the state.

Other than that, read/follow Pool School for normal operation, testing and balancing.

Scott

If it was my pool down where you live, I would maintain it exactly like it was the swim season.....no changes at all. Keep all of your chemistry levels just as they are now. You will certainly use a lot less chlorine as UV from the sun will be less but that's about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.