Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Closing in-ground pool in Florida?

Closing in-ground pool in Florida?

Would like to close the pool till next season - it's a in-ground pool, inside pool enclosure (all-around screenings to keep bugs out). We do not have pool cover.

What is necessary for me to maintain this pool through the closed season? Do I need to maintain the same levels of chlorine, TA, pH, etc like during the normal swimming season, or do I do anything differently?

First time maintaining this pool during closed season - last year I hired pool service.
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

Re: Closing in-ground pool in Florida?

I am assuming the room is screened and not fully enclosed.

Your filtering time can be reduced. your chlorine demand will drop as the water temp drops. You will need to run the pump when temps are near or below freezing, typically not much of an issue in the southern part of the state but can happen more frequently in the northern 2/3s of the state.

Other than that, read/follow Pool School for normal operation, testing and balancing.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

Senior Member In the Industry

Re: Closing in-ground pool in Florida?

If it was my pool down where you live, I would maintain it exactly like it was the swim season.....no changes at all. Keep all of your chemistry levels just as they are now. You will certainly use a lot less chlorine as UV from the sun will be less but that's about it.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School