Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Strainer Pot Lid Handle Cracked Off!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Strainer Pot Lid Handle Cracked Off!!!

I recently purchased a house with a modest sized pool in the back (~18,000 gallons). I decided to take on the duty of maintaining the pool and it has been a learning experience. As a lot of the parts around the pool are about 16 years old, things are a little brittle. Today I wanted to remove the pump strainer pot lid to empty some debris I could see through the see-through lid (pac fab screw down lid). In the past I've had to wrestle with this thing to get it off. Today was no different and in the past I would tap the lid handle with a rubber mallet to loosen the lid a little. To my horror , one of the handle attachment points cracked away from the lid leaving the handle only attached on one side. The crack is through the lid so to make matters worse, the pump will not prime. I had no success searching online for others in this same predicament so I hope I am not the first person to experience this! Duhhhh... In light of this debacle, I've learned that there is actually a wrench used in removing the lid. Had I known this I would have purchased this long ago. That will be my next purchase!

Any suggestions? I thought about using come liquid nails or something to reattach the lid handle but not sure if it will hold given the amount of pressure needed to unscrew the lid.
    13,000 ga, In Ground plaster, Hayward Sand filter, In floor pop ups, Barracuda G3
    Waterfall on separate pump
    Taylor K-2006 or Aquacheck 5 flavor strips

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Strainer Pot Lid Handle Cracked Off!!!

How about getting a new lid and a tube of lube? They are normally easily obtained.

Manually add unscented bleach and brush/scoop the debris until you get the system up again. The brushing and scooping will stir the water so the bleach is circulated. I suggest once in the morning and once in the early afternoon at a minimum.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

The lid is still on the strainer pot. I will certainly get a new lid if I'm able to get the lid off. Any others?
    13,000 ga, In Ground plaster, Hayward Sand filter, In floor pop ups, Barracuda G3

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you can post a picture of the problem it will help us generate suggestions.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Hi, welcome to TFP! If you can post a picture of the problem it will help us generate suggestions.
    Thank you! When I get back home ill snap a pic. Its pretty simple though, I can't unscrew the strainer pot lid because the handle cracked off one side.

This is the lid:

http://www.google.com/m/products/catalo ... DsQ8wIwAw#

6. Back To Top    #6

Just get some big channel loc or Vice Grip piers to get leverage. If it breaks more, so what, the lid is toast anyway.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

U might also try a strap wrench. You can make one with an old leather belt or buy big ones at the auto store
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

8. Back To Top    #8

The handle is only attached by about a square inch of plastic now so I have very little to grab on to not to mention its only on one side of the lid.

I tried strap wrench with no luck since the lip of the lid is so thin.

Might have to take a drill/saw to it and remove it in pieces.

9. Back To Top    #9

Sometimes we have to wait for technology to catch up to our ability to break stuff ! Lol

But, really... Be careful doing it, we don't like it when our members get hurt!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Dry a screwdriver and hammer before a saw. Wouldn't want to see you cut into the housing by accident. If you must resort to cutting a dremel will offer more control.

-Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

11. Back To Top    #11

Drill a horizontal 3/8-inch hole on each side as close to the flat part as possible, then take a long 3/8-inch metal rod and put it all of the way through the lid and use that to unscrew the lid.

Also, you could warm the strainer pot with a hairdryer to get it to expand a little.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    Drill a horizontal 3/8-inch hole on each side as close to the flat part as possible, then take a long 3/8-inch metal rod and put it all of the way through the lid and use that to unscrew the lid.

Also, you could warm the strainer pot with a hairdryer to get it to expand a little.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll attempt JamesW's method tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

13. Back To Top    #13

Pump Strainer Pot Lid Handle Cracked Off!!!

Executed JamesW's suggestion with one trip over to homedepot to purchase a metal bar....this method removed the lid so easily! All lids should have something similar built in! Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions...off to the pool store to pick up a new lid!

14. Back To Top    #14

Don't forget the silicon pool lube! Put a layer around the lid's o-ring each time you take it off and you should be able to turn the lid easily. Mine has the same type of lid and it made a world of difference!
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Don't forget the silicon pool lube! Put a layer around the lid's o-ring each time you take it off and you should be able to turn the lid easily. Mine has the same type of lid and it made a world of difference!
    Absolutely, I applied it last time I took the kid off. Do you apply to threads as well?:

16. Back To Top    #16

I think a little on the threads won't hurt. Mine is not exactly like yours, as mine has no threads, but otherwise it looks the same.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks for the update! You might want to get a new O-ring at the same time if it is not in good shape.

18. Back To Top    #18

And a lil lube on the threads would definitely not hurt and will def help!