Heat Siphon Z700

Jun 15, 2010
NB, Canada
I was wondering if anyone can comment on this heater. I am thinking of purchasing a pool heater, but i don't know much about which company or model are good. Prices up here are ridiculous, unless you get into smaller models or cheaper brands.

I have a IG 20x40 pool with a SWG. I live in Eastern Canada.

Thanks!

As heat pumps go, Heat Siphon is a well know brand name.
Understand that you will need to cover the pool when it isn't in use. This will significantly reduce heat lost to evaporation, the #1 heat loss cause. Otherwise you will have problems getting the pool warm enough in a reasonable time frame, You have a good sized pool. Going smaller is not an option.

Scott

Just my experience to chip in here.

We have the biggest pentair HP (and a gas heater too, but not in operation yet... why both? We got the HP to primarily cool the pool in the dog days of summer). We have been using the hp to heat the pool while we are waiting for the gas heater... We are not thrilled. When the temps are above 65 deg F, it does fine and while it takes about 4-6 hours to get there (spa is HUGE) it heats our spa to a nice toasty temp. At night when the temp falls below 60, its not even worth leaving it on. It costs about $1 an hour to run on our electrical rates, and it will run ALL night and not do much. Ditto about the solar cover, evaporation will kill ya.

I struggled with heat pump information and what to believe when building my pool. The truth is, in my case, if the temps stay above 65 during the day and 50 at night, I can heat the pool up to 90 degrees and if I cover it at night, not lose more than 2 degrees. This is with the heat pump running 24 hours a day. My electric rates are pretty low (.07) so it doesn't cost too much (~5$/day). Throughout the month of November, I was able to keep my pool over 85, except for a few days. It worked out for me to be about 1 degree every 3-4 hours, so 6-8 degrees a day with the heat pump running 24 hours. It actually shut off at 90 one day. I also live in an area with fairly high average relative humidity and this helps.

BUT... this is with temps OVER 65/day and 50/night. If the temps stay below 50 at night for a few days, then you will lose any heat you were able to put in, because the heat pump won't run and even with the pool covered at night, the low temps will cause you to lose 4-5 degrees each night, and you can't make up more than 3-4 degrees during the day (12 hours daylight = 3-4 degrees heat for me). It did take about 5-6 days to get from 60 degree water to 85 degree water, due to some nights with low temps where the heat pump would not run.

As always, your mileage may vary. But consistent temps and high relative humidity will yield good results.

I went with a Heat Siphon Z575 for a True L 42x16x24, 800 sq ft, approx 28,000 gal (sloped sides). I cover my pool with two 20x25 Home Depot 6 mil vinyl translucent tarps.

If you look a the Heat Siphon charts, you will see that the Z575 actually has a higher COP at the lower BTU's which is where you will be operating during the winter months. But the Z700 will put out more BTU's at that lower temp so it may be a better choice. I'm happy with my Z575.

If its not a violation of forum rules, I can say I was helped by an on-line vendor during my search and they answered all my questions, gave me a great deal and let me put down a REFUNDABLE deposit for a year.

PoolHeatPumps.com

They will answer your calls/emails 7 days a week and will stand behind the product they sell you. Marcus will email you a fairly comprehensive opinion of what size/model he would recommend if you ask him.

No, I don't work for them, but I can say they gave me STELLAR customer service and I believe that deserves me mentioning them.

Sorry for the long post, but I really appreciated the real world performance advice when I was looking so I thought I'd put my .02 in.

Lershac said:
We are not thrilled. When the temps are above 65 deg F, it does fine and while it takes about 4-6 hours to get there (spa is HUGE) it heats our spa to a nice toasty temp. At night when the temp falls below 60, its not even worth leaving it on. It costs about $1 an hour to run on our electrical rates, and it will run ALL night and not do much. Ditto about the solar cover, evaporation will kill ya.

This is my experience with a heat pump in Massachusetts. Doesnt do much when the temp falls below 65. Even in the heat of the summer, it wont heat my 14,000 gallon much above 84-85. But, in July, thats about where I want it. It wont do a thing to extend the swim season before Memeorial day, nor beyond labor day, if that. In NB, CA, i'm sure it will be about the same. Thats why I installed propane (no NG where I live). If I had NG, I wouldnt have a heat pump at all. They are great to maintain the water temp June-August, but not much more. I dont have a Heat Siphon, but contrary to what a sales person will tell you, they all work pretty much the same and at about the same efficiency, give or take. IMO, heat pumps are oversold as a panecia. They work great when the air temp is 65 or higher, and the humidity is fairly high, but when it a little cool or rainy, they just spin the electric meter for the most part.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.