Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Off Brand Pump Problem - Roaring River

Off Brand Pump Problem - Roaring River

All of our pool equipment is a quality, known brand name except for the pump. There, we somehow ended up with an off brand called 'Roaring River' (made in China). The pump has always been loud, but now is getting louder and louder. The noise is coming from the motor, not the pump itself. I pulled the motor off and found there is a small amount of play in the shaft and it turns relatively smoothly, but not perfectly smoothly. That said, I'm sure the bearings are about shot.

I can't find this brand anywhere on the internet. Has anyone ever heard of it or know where I can cross reference bearing sizes for it?

Thanks!

Re: Off Brand Pump Problem - Roaring River

You can either get a brand name pump and then, when the time comes, be able to get parts for it or you can get a cheap POS off E-Bay, which is likely where that one came from to begin with.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

You can take the motor in to an electric motor repair shop. They should be able to repair it, or sell you new bearings if necessary and available.

Can you post a picture of the motor label?

See this thread. He's selling some extra Jandy gear.

for-sale-jandy-equipment-pumps-filter-aqualink-aquapure-t39245.html

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by mdfmr2
    I can't find this brand anywhere on the internet. Has anyone ever heard of it or know where I can cross reference bearing sizes for it?

Thanks!
    If you're taking the motor apart anyways, you'll probably be able to get the bearing part number from the old bearing itself.

I replaced the bearings on a Hayward pump a few weeks ago. When I was doing the research to determine bearing size, I was having a real hard time getting a straight answer.

Eventually when I pulled the pump apart and pulled the bearings off, there was a number stamped on the rubber bearing seal. It's an industry standard number I was able to cross reference at Grainger, and I got a pair of bearings for $15.
    TFP Moderator33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1.5HP PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater
    Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I suspect this is just a throw away, Chinese made pump. I seriously doubt it's worth taking it apart as parts will not be easy to find for anyone.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to tear it down and see if there are any meaningful numbers on the bearings. The worst case scenario is that I end up buying another pump