Anyone make a DYI stand alone pool cleaner (Filter and Pump)

blakeusa

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2010
Ashford, CT
Thinking of making a stand alone pump and cartridge filter to do fall and spring cleaning. Around here we get waaaay tooo many leaves and
debris. Would like to just plug it in vac the pool and keep all the debris in a seperate system.

Would put all on a dolly so I could put it in my truck or wheel it around.

I take care of my pool and the real work at a few friends. The watertech, polaris and other systems I have just do not do it fast nor are powerful enough to suck all the junk out..

Any ideas or pictures would be appreciated.

Re: Anyone make a DYI stand alone pool cleaner (Filter and P

Try searching for SPP and trolley. SPP is in Indonesia, has a diving pool with a backup filtration system on a trolley.

blakeusa said:
Any ideas or pictures would be appreciated.
I've thought about it. Here's my ideas:
*Use a typical pump, motor, & filter. A cart filter is obviously the lightest (a consideration when moving it around), but a sand filter w/ zeosand/zeolite might be light enough.
*Wire the pump for 110V with a 50' or 100' cord.
*Mount it all on a hand truck.
*When used, send the waste water back into the pool through a Slime Bag (see http://www.cleanerpools.net/).
*Since the size of the filter, HP of the motor, etc. isn't critical, get all this stuff for free or on the cheap from yard sales, Craig's List, friends who are upgrading, etc.

I've got a safety cover and dirt & some debris gets in over the winter. I've always thought that a second filter would get the water cleaner quicker at opening time. The slime bag would minimize water lost/cost.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

I don't filter the water when cleaning out a pool, I just exhaust it to the nearest drain. Naturally you lose water but since my pump is used mostly on pool openings there is usually an excess of water from winter snow/rain.

If you want to have a filter, don't use a sand filter. If you move a sand filter with sand/zeolites/whatever inside, there is a risk of breaking the internals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.