How would you repair this leak? Video

dmj4

Jul 22, 2009
Hello,
I have a pretty large pool leak under my concrete. I have read many of the threads on this site about cutting concrete.
I'm thinking of getting a diamond blade for my circular saw and trying to take a square out of the concrete to get to the broken pipe.

Please, look at the video and give any advice you can.
If you can determine what kind of pipe it is, that would be nice, too.
I tried shutting off the skimmers one by one to see is the leak lessened, but it did not.

I started at the end of last year, before winterizing. We thought we would deal with it in the Spring. When we opened, it was not leaking. The loud noise if makes was gone, right after we opened. About a month later, it started again. That was really strange. I wondered it debris got into the leak and closed it off for a time. I know this is very odd, seeing as how loud and obvious the leak is, but it really did stop for a time. I hoped it was a miracle, but I guess it wasn't. Even the pool guy that opened the pool could not believe it. He heard it last fall and did not hear it in the Spring.

Please, watch this video of the leak and give advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1SQed1z8Ws
Thanks,
Donna

Donna,

WOW, thats a big leak. It sounds like it's on the pressure side of the system. Where is the water going? Whats in that corner of the pool? Just some advice on the diamond blade for the circular saw. It will take alot of effort and many blade to cut that concrete and you still won't cut all the way through it. It might be better just to remove that corner piece and it will give you more room to work.

That corner piece of concrete is a large rectangular piece. The split was the line they put to help with cracking, but the leak has opened this one up. It doesn't look bad, but it is definitely separated all the way through. The water seeps into the ground. It only shows up as a damp spot in the dirt outside the concreted area.

You could rent a 14" Gas Cutoff Saw and a diamond blade. It will cut through 5" of concrete. Cut out small square so that you can investigate. Put up some sort of barrier to prevent concrete chips from getting in the pool.

TS400.jpg

http://www.robinsons1874.com/rental/cut_off_saws.html

http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment ... catid=s511

I'm with JamesW on renting a real concrete cut off saw. Home D has them for like 76 a day.

You are lucky in that it is obvious where the leak is....

I would cut back at least a foot or so, and do it so when you fix the decking it will look more natural, rather than an odd shaped cut.

Cut the outline, then cut some smaller squares so you can break out the concrete with a hammer. Sledge that is.. be careful when removing the concrete and dirt around the pipes.

When you find the crack, dig around and under it, cut the damaged area out with a hack saw or whatever - clean and scuff/sand the ends and use PRIMER and GLUE. Twist and hold each piece for a minute until cured. Use only Schedule 40 Pipe, most likely white pvc.

Test after you fix it.... a couple of times. Then try to figure out why it broke or cracked in the first place....

B

Thank you so much for the responses. I'm thinking about tracing a skimmer cover or a square that equals the size of a few of the same bricks that are around the pool. That way if I just can't get the replacement concrete to look good, i could just work the bricks in or cover it with a skimmer cover. Are there other things that would not look random and out of place to fill a square hole?

I really appreciate the step by step instructions given above. The concrete around the pool cost quite a bit of extra money and I so hate to tear into it. It seems concrete for pool decks comes at a higher price than other concrete. LOL

After repairing the leak (crossing fingers with a positive attitude), what concrete mix would you use to pour back in. I'm thinking I will wait and not refill immediately, but I want to know what to buy.

Just a regular Quikrete Concrete Mix (No. 1101) works well. One thing you can do is to cut notches in the surrounding concrete around the hole to create a ledge for the new concrete so that it won't fall in. Alternatively, you could drill some 1/4-inch holes in the sides of the square hole and put some 1/4-inch stainless steel bolts in the holes but sticking out to allow a way to help keep the concrete from moving.

http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/ConcreteSelectorGuide.pdf
http://www.quikrete.com/productlines/ConcreteMixPro.asp

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a rather large leak!

I would wonder what caused it?

Also When filling back in the hole, I would fill with something like a fine gravel that wont need any compaction. I am betting you probably have quite the void under your deck from the water running off. Pics of the repair process please!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.