Hey and Hello! need a little advise for an idea

SteveT

Nov 17, 2011
My adorable and awesome better half has decided she wants an indoor pool :lol: its not that big 8x18, 4' deep, this will be a new addition to the house, my idea is excavate, concrete block wall on compacted clean gravel, 3'' of plastispan closed cell rigid foam, attached to this flexible pex tubing for solar heater/propane boiler, pexline buried in stucco and then fiberglass roving and gel coat (wow sounds easy!) as I cannot find anything on the net about this Im just hoping for someone to show me the error of my ways or some advise to better the end result, thank you in advance for any help and if feasible I will do a complete build pictorial. Steve

Welcome to TFP! Sounds like a big project and I will be interested in seeing how things progress. We have several indoor pool owners and operators here who will be along to give you advice.

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP! Sounds like a big project and I will be interested in seeing how things progress. We have several indoor pool owners and operators here who will be along to give you advice.
Thanks! and I hope so, its only a big project if its a fail lol

Indoor pools have numerous needs not mentioned yet.

Materials used must withstand the environment, which will be somewhat humid. They will also need to be mold resistant.

Splash out must be accommodated.

Dehumidification is a must. HVAC too. This will likely be best served with a forced hot air system, as the ventilation needs will require a positive pressure in the room to exhaust the humidity and spent chlorine. That pretty much kills the radiant heat idea.

You will need a heater. It, along with the equipment, will need to be indoors, so space will be needed if you are in a climate that is subjected to freezing temps. You won't be able to keep the equipment outside.

Consider where to put lighting. Hanging bulbs over the pool is making life hard for yourself when they need changing. Metal fixtures are out. They would rust unless they were stainless (big $$s).

Expect the municipal inspectors to be unbending and demanding. Be glad for it! As aggravating as it may seem, for the most part, its for your own good. The devil is in the details and you don't want a visit from the devil. Trust me on that.

It will be hard to find a builder. Use one that has done it before, more than once. Experience counts here. This is NOT a DIY project. Your going to spend a lot of money.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
Indoor pools have numerous needs not mentioned yet.

Materials used must withstand the environment, which will be somewhat humid. They will also need to be mold resistant.

Splash out must be accommodated.

Dehumidification is a must. HVAC too. This will likely be best served with a forced hot air system, as the ventilation needs will require a positive pressure in the room to exhaust the humidity and spent chlorine. That pretty much kills the radiant heat idea.

You will need a heater. It, along with the equipment, will need to be indoors, so space will be needed if you are in a climate that is subjected to freezing temps. You won't be able to keep the equipment outside.

Consider where to put lighting. Hanging bulbs over the pool is making life hard for yourself when they need changing. Metal fixtures are out. They would rust unless they were stainless (big $$s).

Expect the municipal inspectors to be unbending and demanding. Be glad for it! As aggravating as it may seem, for the most part, its for your own good. The devil is in the details and you don't want a visit from the devil. Trust me on that.

It will be hard to find a builder. Use one that has done it before, more than once. Experience counts here. This is NOT a DIY project. Your going to spend a lot of money.

Scott

Hi Scott! The building shell design covers the humidity and splash factors, pumps/filtration and heater will all be in the garage, pool coping is designed for airtight insulated covers,lighting is minimal and recessed in glass enclosures, I appreciate your concerns about this not being a diy project and grant you 1 told ya so in advance. ps Ive heard about your inspectors in NJ lol, we use them for land fill around here :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.