Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Late Closing in the North

1. Back To Top    #1

Toronto, Canada

Late Closing in the North

My wife and I recently returned from an extended stay in Europe and I didn't get a chance to close the pool before leaving (we live in Toronto, Canada). The only thing I did before leaving was to turn off the pump. To complicate matters, our cover is ripped and can't be used this year. Given all this, I'm wondering:

1) Since it's so late, all the surrounding tree leaves have fallen so I'm not sure if we even need to get a cover at this point? I'd prefer to wait until next spring/summer, but just wanted to make sure there is nothing we need to worry about by not having a cover on this winter.

2) It's just started to get cold in our region and it looks like it might drop below zero tonight. I'm planning to close the pool tomorrow, but is there anything I should be checking given how late it is and the temperature will be below zero tonight?

20,000 Gallons Inground Vinyl Pool, 1 skimmer, 1 floor drain, 4 return jets, 1 vacuum intake
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter (SM2506T), Hayward EZ Flow Pump (SP-3107X10), Emerson Pump Motor (EB228), Hayward Comfortzone NG Heater, Hayward Chlorinator (CL220)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Late Closing in the North

Run the pump overnight and keep it running until the temps are above freezing or you start closing.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!