Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: using liquid chlorine 12.5% for you laundry ?:)

1. Back To Top    #1

using liquid chlorine 12.5% for you laundry ?:)

Quick question. Not really related to pool, but can't find answer elsewhere.

Pool is closed for the winter, but I still have 1 gal of 2-3 months old 12.5% Austine pool chlorine that I have no use for.

Can I use it in my washer by cutting dose in half? According to washer manual using more then 2/3 of a cup will damage the washer over time. Can I safely use 1/3 of cup of this chlorine instead of the regular bleach? (the manual doesn't specify the strength of the regular bleach, so I guess they assume it is 6%)

18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: using liquid chlorine 12.5% for you laundry ?:)

Go for it.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Yes you can. Using half as much will equal the same concentration in the washer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

near the swamp

used 10.5% in my washer before, I had some pretty white t-shirts

5. Back To Top    #5

Sunny Central Florida

I do. I mix half and half with pool water though.
    IG Plaster 20,000gal, attached spa w/ spillover, hayward C12002 cart filter, 1 1/2hp pump w/ polaris 360
    6/16/12 - PH 7.6, FC 6, CC 0, CYA 30, TA 80, Calcium 310

6. Back To Top    #6
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I'd try using 1/4 cup or less. A lot of "laundry bleach" is less than 6%. Much less.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

You should dilute it before adding it because that concentration could damage clothes if it directly contacts the fabric.