Is this a good setup and deal?

Nov 14, 2011
Looking into putting a new pool in. This company (I won't name them but they've been around 25+ years) are doing this package:

80' Perimeter up to 400 SQFT Pool
3' x 5' x 4' or 3' x 5' Play pool
Vertically Excavated Walls
Standard Trackhoe Excavation
Worlds BEST Variable Speed Pump (ECO-STAR by HAYWARD)
Huge 700 SQFT Cartridge Filter
Huge 2-1/2" Plumbing with 20' runs
Separate M/D and Skimmer Plumbing
ECO-Skim - Skimmer from A & A
Chemical Reduction System
Highly efficient "OZONE Sanitation system"
Dek Chlor OR Inline Chlorine Feeder
5 BAR BOND BEAM using #2 & #3 rebar (70% more steel than other builders)
Advanced SHOTCRETE specifications (With both Flyash and Fibermesh)
250 SQFT of Acrylic Lace Deck (Using Commercial Grade 3000 PSI concrete with Flyash & "Lockdown Deck Design" with 6" Perimeter Turndown for protection)
60-80 STND waterline tile CHOICES
LED COLOR Pool Light with remote
Automation with Wireless Controller
"Complete" In-floor Cleaning System includes debris removal system and PDR safety drains
CHOICE of Pebble Tec or Pebble Sheen

Cost=$21,995.00 + Tax & Permits

Does it look like a decent setup and a good deal?

That seems pretty low. Too low. Where are you located?

When something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Also, there is no sales tax on an immovable property improvement (like a pool) in any state I have lived in.

There are some things in there you don't need and could apply the money to something else. Tell us where you live when you post back. I have no opinion on whether it's a good deal.....markets vary.

1. A 2-speed pump will perform virtually as well and save money.

2. I don't know what ECO-skim or "chemical reduction system" is.

3. Delete the ozone system......that will save you a lot of money and it is not helpful in your case. (search "ozone" here on the forum)

4. The forum has a lot of negative info from members who have an infloor cleaning system. It seems like most of them are not very effective. Spend your money on a robot instead.

5. Consider a larger deck area if space permits.

duraleigh said:
There are some things in there you don't need and could apply the money to something else. Tell us where you live when you post back. I have no opinion on whether it's a good deal.....markets vary.

1. A 2-speed pump will perform virtually as well and save money.

2. I don't know what ECO-skim or "chemical reduction system" is.

3. Delete the ozone system......that will save you a lot of money and it is not helpful in your case. (search "ozone" here on the forum)

4. The forum has a lot of negative info from members who have an infloor cleaning system. It seems like most of them are not very effective. Spend your money on a robot instead.

5. Consider a larger deck area if space permits.

The Eco-Skim is a product featured on the a&a manufacturing website. THe chemical reduction system is the QuikPure3 ozone oxidation system, also an A&A product. All their products are either A&A or Hayward.

Also, the PB strongly advised us AGAINST a salt water system, claiming he'd taken his own one out because it was costly and corrosive. But everywhere else I read, people only seem to have good things to say about it?

Where in Arizona? You can mention the builder if you want; others here may have used the same people and could offer some experience. That does sound really cheap.

From someone who has an in-floor system, take my word that it's a pain. I wouldn't get it if I were building a pool. Ozone is a waste of money in an outdoor pool. I've never heard of a 700 square foot filter, and there isn't one on Hayward's website.

If it was my pool, I would not consider an ozone system.

If I didn't want an SWG, I would plumb just a little room into the pipe to put it in later if I changed my mind.

Then I would manually chlorinate, using the chlorine tab feeder for times when I was away from the pool.

The eko-skim video loaded w-a-a-ay to slowly to watch so I have no opinion on it. Will you get a lot of leaves?

Ditto what MITS said about the filter.....700 doesn't seem like the right number.

I have a 520 sq ft filter and a larger pool, and mine is ridiculously oversized. I can't even find a 700 ft filter for sale anywhere on the web.

and for the list of features you are getting, I don't quite see how they can do it for that price. In-floor, automation and remote, variable speed pump, a play pool, pebble-tec and led lighting all for 21K? Does he get free labor or something?

Its definitely a 700Sqft filter, i've got the brochure page in front of me...says its a commercial filter. Product number HCF7030C.

Haven't had a chance to look through all the threads on Ozone systems, what's wrong with them? Should I be insisting on a salt water system?

The builder is Dolphin Pools in Cave Creek, Az. This is their Eco-Smart pool. They have been around 27 years and don't have a single complaint raised on the BBB website.

By the time I've added in a heat pump ($4k), some small water features ($2k) and swapped the decking for travertine ($2k) plus the access costs ($1k), the quote's coming in around $33k.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well they do seem like a legit builder... I just dont quite see how they can turn a profit at it! I like the options you chose in your latest post ( heat pump, travertine decking, etc). Some folks are really negative about travertine with a SWG, In some cases it seems salt/softer stones like travertine may not mix well and the travertine wears or corrodes away over time. Obviously I have chosen to use the SWG with travertine, but just be aware that may be a troublesome combination long term for you.

Ozone imparts little to no lasting sanitization residual potential in the pool, where a chlorine or SWG pool maintains a residual sanitizing base of chlorine to deal with the nasties in a quick manner.

Here is what I would do... ask to speak to some other owners with builds in progress at various stages. If I had done that with a contractor I used for a small part of my pool I would have never used him and avoided much heart and head ache.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.