vacuum fitting

Lershac

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Hey I am searching for a fitting to go into a 1 1/2" normal wall pipe on an in-ground pool gunite... for vacuum. I found (and ordered by mistake) a safety fitting to put on the pipe that closes off the suction when not in use, but It does not accept a regular vacuum hose (too small). Is there either A) an adapter pipe, or b) a correct fitting to do what I want?

I loathe the skimmer adapter plate and want to just plug my hose into the vacuum port on the wall.

The vacuum hose is a normal 1 1/2" nominal hose end.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience!

The pipe usually ends in a 1.5-inch female threaded adaptor (slip x FPT), which will usually take the cuffed end of a vacuum hose. If the hose won't fit, then you could use an adaptor, such as the Hayward SPX1091Z7 Hose Adaptor.
45086_1_2011721163632.jpg

It would be unusual for the line to be just 1.5-inch PVC pipe, if that's what's there.

I recommend using the vacuum plate in the skimmer vs. using the vacuum line, because when you use the vacuum plate, you catch all of the dirt and debris in the skimmer basket, especially when you use a skimmer sock in the skimmer basket while vacuuming.

If you vacuum using the vacuum line, you risk clogging the vacuum line with debris. It also gums up the multiport with sand and other abrasive and obstructive debris, which will cause the multiport to need to be cleaned and repaired much more frequently.

its a cartridge filter, and sand and small dense debris is exactly what I want to use it for.

thats the part i needed... its a threaded port.

Ideally I would like to get something I could use WITH the safety cover doohickey which is 1.52" diameter (I got my calipers all wet checking that!) I might get some pipe turned down on the lathe at one of my clients to make a double-tapered adapter. It looks like the vac hose end and the safety suction fitting are both the same designed to take a 1.5" male.

Well, the way I have it plumbed, I can switch between suction and pressure on that outlet, so I can do a couple of things there... My plan is to mainly have it on pressure and use my pressure side polaris 360 on it, and when I need to spot van I can just swap out. I will probably have to make a fitting to be able to plug the polaris into the same port.

The Polaris comes with a 1.5-inch MPT fitting that will screw into the 1.5-inch FPT wall fitting. You could use the Hayward SPX1091Z7 Hose Adaptor for vacuuming. When you're not vacuuming, you can leave it on pressure. For safety, be extra careful not to ever leave the fitting open with suction.

I have vacuuming programmed as a button function with a 1 hr egg timer to switch back to pressure. sounds like I just shouldnt have bought the suction fitting... oh well $6 down the tubes... not the first time lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.