Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is the main drain always contected to pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is the main drain always contected to pump?

A silly question to ask maybe, but I am a new pool owner, cannot find a sure answer from google.

I blowed all returns using shop vac, but did not see bubbles from main drop. I am trying to blow out the main drain again, should I repeat to other returns too?

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Is the main drain always contected to pump?

Welcome to TFP! I don't really know the answer to that one, but someone will be along soon to give you the answer. Feel free to look around in the meantime as you may find the answer in of of the threads here by doing some searches.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    Guam, USA

Just a suggestion, but the main drain might have been plugged before you moved in. Is the water too cold to dive down and take a look? Your main drain could also be plumbed through a skimmer. Look inside your skimmer(s), do you see one open port with another one plugged, or 2 open ports?
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool!

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

The main drain is not always tied directly to the pump. A lot of times it's tied into the bottom of a skimmer and therefore is tied indirectly into the pump.

Also, most shop vacs won't produce enough pressure to blow a main drain. They produce a lot of flow but not much pressure at all. You need about 5 psi to overcome the head of the water in most main drains.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

Any chance you have a collection (or balance) tank separating the drains from the pump?
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)