Winter cover Blew off and into pool!!!

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Hi all,

This is our first winter with pool, the pool store came and closed pool for us in Mid October. We have had major winds the past few weeks. The cover had been fine until today. We came home to find about 3/4 of the cover in the pool!!! The cable broke. We did have those small clip things on (I don't think they fit quite right, after putting them on they'd king of pop off a little but would stay on just not tight, maybe its the railing of our pool) and after the pool store put the cover on we wrapped cling wrap around pool just as another precaution. We have a deck around 1/2 the pool...completely on one long side of pool and stops in middle of both curved ends.

I will be calling the pool store tomorrow, they should fix the problem. Does anyone have any advice on how we can prevent this from happening again?

Also, We drained the pool 6 inches below skimmer, I didnt realize the return in below that, so the water is only about 1 inch below the return but the pool guys put a plug in the return, will that be okay or do I need to drain it more, I don't want anything to get ruined from freezing.

Thanks so much to whoever replies!!!

You can take some gallon jugs (the bleach ones work fine) and fill them with water and suspend them from the cover. That should help take some of the strain off the cable.

As long as they drained or blew the return line out and then plugged it you'll be fine to leave the water above it.

with it being sooo windy wouldnt the jugs hit up against the side of the pool?

the return hose was disconnected and they put the plug on the inside of pool and left the outside part uncovered....sound okay?

again, thanks so much, you are very much appreciated

Filled with water, the bleach jugs shouldn't blow around or be a problem.

I would error on the side of removing a little more water again if it's risen that much because when it freezes this winter it will rise, but that's just me. If the plug doesn't hold for some reason I'd hate to see you have to replace some plumbing or the return fitting. Being that the plumbing is disconnected though, you may be ok. That's a decision you'll have to decide for yourself.

I live in Indiana and like you have the pool surround partially by deck. Luckily, even though we had some crazy winds the last several days, ours has managed to survive... it does however have a chance of falling in due to all the rain since we put the cover on. We've got to get the pump out there and remove some before we have the same problem you do :)

I had terrible cover problems last year. I have a deck all the way around my pool so i went with a cover plus water bags to hold them to the deck. Well that just sucked. This year i spent a little more and got http://www.arcticbluecovers.com/

So far i love it. They have install kits for above ground only, above ground with full deck around and above ground with partial deck around. I will take a pic tonight and post it if i get home before dark. If not tomorrow morning.

Also this I has a micro mesh seam running down the middel that keeps the dirt out but let the water drain so you dont need to pump the water off.

poolcover2.jpg

poolcover1.jpg

The wind does nothing, and no need for a pump. The water filters right down the middle micro mesh screen.

Obviously free standing pools are done differently as well as partially decked pools. But the principle is the same.

Thank you for the pics....very nice deck. the only question I have is where does the water go? I'm assuming it goes into the pool....How do you know how much to drain pool before you cover? Pool store guy came and recovered pool today, I had him put the clip things on the opposite way he put them on before cause they stay on better. hopefully this time it'll stay on for the remainder of the season. We will definately consider that cover for next year!! I still have to post pics of my pool and deck, sometime I'll get to it. :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.