IntelliPh

Steve737

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 25, 2011
Montgomery Texas
Hey guys I'm at the point of finalizing the equiptment and am going to add the intelliph system. I was wanting your opinion. I have a Pentair SWG and an inteliflow pump. Im controlling everything with an intellitouch system. I looked at the intellichem system but everyone I spoke with said that the probes to measure ph were inconsistent and would give you erroneous readings throughing everything out of wack. The intelliph system is just a metering system as I understand it so do you think it's worth the 700 ( im out of pad room so $200 for that) dollars to install it? Also is it going to be hard to figure out how to set it properly? Thanks you guys are the best Steve.

I'm going to try to figure out how to get these pics posted of the build. It keep saying they are to big :hammer:

For many people there is no point in getting an ItelliPH. In many pools it is possible to adjust the water chemistry so that the PH stays in balance. Automatic PH regulation has the greatest benefit when your have very high either CH or TA fill water or you have an extreme amount of aeration (such as a negative edge pool or a major waterfall that is on frequently). When you do need it, it can be a lifesaver.

The spillway for the spa is 8 ft wide and I have 12 feet of sheer decents. Also two pentair majic streams. Do you think I will be adding alot of acid? The pool will be in direct sunlight most of the day aswell. Thanks steve

As far as ch I'm not sure. I do know that our water is very hard.

I haven't heard that about the intellichem -- and, intellichem was just released so I'm not sure if anyone already has enough experience with it to say how it may perform long term. Some initial bugs should certainly be expected. We just ordered one for our new pool...now you have me nervous.....my thinking was that it would be a great insurance mechanism as I intend to maintain the pool on my own and if I messed up too badly at least the intellichem would help keep the ph from getting out of whack...I also hate the idea of handling acid constantly myself.

I was thinking the same thing. I asked my pool builder about the intellichem system and he told me he really didn't know anything about it so he has given me the number to his Pentair supplier. So I called them and they have never sold one so they didn't know anything either. They did however give me the number of there Pentair representative. He seemed to know a lot about them and is the one who said he has been on a lot of service calls where there were problems with the probes. One of the pools was left out of wack for a long time and was an expensive fix. I still like the system and may get it. Wish we could get some more feedback. By the way how much did you get the system for my PB says its about 1700. Thanks Steve

I strongly recommend against ORP based chlorine control, used in the IntelliChem system, for residential pools. All brands of ORP control tends to have a number of quirks and problems in outdoor residential pools, such that they are almost never worth the trouble or expense.

As I said before, PH control can sometimes be useful, but most people don't need it. Also, CO2 is not the best PH control approach. Muriatic acid is better. Over the long term PH control with CO2 tends to make the TA go up, which can be problematic.

Steve737, it really depends on how much you run the water features. If they are on 8 to 12 hours a day then PH control will be well worth it. If they are on for an hour once a week then there really isn't any point.

Setting up an IntelliPH is fairly simple. It gets adjusted in much the same way an SWG does. You raise the acid percentage when the PH is going up, lower it when the PH is going down. After the first week or two it mostly takes care of it's self. You still need to measure PH at least once a week just to make sure everything is working, and occasionally the acid tank needs to be refilled.

The IntelliChem PH function is more automatic, there is no percentage to adjust. However, the PH probe needs occasional cleaning and has to be replaced about every other year. The probes also make the winterizing process just slightly more complex. The people I hire to close my pool were never able to deal with the probes correctly, despite being wonderful at everything else. I ended up needing to be there when they closed to make sure the probes got stored for the winter correctly and didn't dry out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.