Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chemicals for winter

1. Back To Top    #1

chemicals for winter

Hello, we just had our pool winterized about 2 weeks ago. I was expecting the company to add some chemicals but they didnt. Their reasoning was that it was too cold for any growth to happen so it would be a waste. So they just blew out the lines and removed and added plugs where needed. Is this normal? do I need to add something? prior to them winterizing I was at about a 3 for chlorine and my ph was about 7.8-8 or would I be better off adding something in early spring.

New inground pool with plaster last fall if that makes a difference

We are in Utah. right now we currently have highs in the 40's and lows in the 20's-30's. pool is free form so no cover but is currently spotless. I have been removing all debris daily and will continue until the water freezes over for the winter.

Thanks in advance
    18,000 gal ig salt pool krystalkrete plaster 7x10 raised spa w/ 2 spillovers
    4x20 wet deck, waterfall, 17ft infinity edge, deck jets, nexxus lighting
    Jandy pumps & controls, Aquapalm PDA, 400k heater, Kleen Machine robot
    (6) 4x12 solar panels, clear solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chemicals for winter

It is common to raise the FC level and add some algaecide, but neither are required. As long as you close late and open early you are unlikely to have any problems regardless.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I would have raised the chlorine, but we have a lot of debris in the spring and we will probably try and open a little late this year to avoid the worst of the tree blossoms. If you open before the water temps get up to 60 F, you should probably be fine.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. That makes me feel better
    18,000 gal ig salt pool krystalkrete plaster 7x10 raised spa w/ 2 spillovers
    4x20 wet deck, waterfall, 17ft infinity edge, deck jets, nexxus lighting
    Jandy pumps & controls, Aquapalm PDA, 400k heater, Kleen Machine robot
    (6) 4x12 solar panels, clear solar cover