Replaced retainer ring on Jandy CL460 and leaking

Nov 12, 2011
Hello folks!

I have a Jandy CL460. I took the outer belt off to gain access to the cartridges for cleaning and noticed that the original metal retainer ring had split due to the rivets wearing out (looks like they oxidized or something). I then ordered a new ring and installed it, but now the filter leaks at the beltline when the pump is on. Is there a special way to seat the ring that I need to consider? I'm hoping I don't have to replace the entire bottom part of the filter!!

Thanks
Joel

Thanks...so you don't think it could be coming from a problem with the new metal retainer ring I installed? The filter wasn't leaking until I had to replace that. I'm wondering if there is some special way to fit it...O-ring looks fine, but do you think the O-ring could be the problem rather than the metal retainer ring?

If the clamp is the correct one, then it should work. Does it seem to get tight enough? I would start by cleaning and lubricating everything. If you lubricate the clamp, and the outside of the filter where the clamp hits, that will allow the clamp to get better coverage.

Yes, the clamp does get tight...less than a quarter inch gap in the ends where the bolts snugs it up. What does the retainer ring do (ie, what is it "retaining")? Is it supposed to hold the O-ring in place? It doesn't seem to serve any function beyond the seal the O-ring already makes. Thanks very much again!

The clamp pulls both halves of the filter together and compresses the O-ring. If you lubricate the clamp and lightly tap it with a rubber hammer while tightening, it should give good compression.

The retaining ring helps keep the O-ring in place. Is the new retaining ring the same diameter as the old one?

CL580_LargeCartridgeFilter-1.ashx

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Produc ... 91800.ashx

Hi, I am new here, and saw this thread. I have the same problem with my Jandy retaining ring...the rivets went bad. I think it is a waste to throw away this ring for the rivets. Last year, I repaired mine with aluminum pop-rivets. The repair worked well fit-wise, but the aluminum corroded very quickly. I have a salt pool. I tried to figure out the material of the ring last year...I used a grinder on it, and no sparks, so I know it is not stainless steel. Does anybody know what material this thing is made of? Inconel, monel, brass....? It is very easy to repair these things with rivets, but need to find the correct material so that they don't corrode. I suppose the original rivets were not the perfect material either, or else they would not have failed. They looked like brass to me, but there was so little left of them that it is hard to tell. Thanks, Andy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.