Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Concrete Pool Slide

Concrete Pool Slide

I have a concrete pool slide that was originally epoxy coated. When I bought the home the epoxy was flaking off and needed to be replaced as our worn out and holy swimwear quickly indicated.

I used a thin film epoxy from Top Secret that was supposed to last 10 years, followed all of the directions to the letter, and now one and a half season later I am back to the same situation I started at.

I was thinking to try a hi-build epoxy such as Ramuc provides this time. However before I sink another couple of hundred into paint products I thought I might ask the forum if others with more experience or a better experience than mine has any advice. I understand that most epoxy pool coatings are made for underwater, and this above water application may be a tough one to solve with all the exposure to the UV rays of the sun.

Thanks in advance to any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Approx. 25,000 Ga, IG Plaster, Shape - Freeform, with integrated spa, with DE Filter Flow Rate 180
    3 pumps, all 1 HP SureFlow, one each for:
    -Filter, spa return waterfall, 9 panel solar heating.
    -Combined water features (two waterfalls, and concrete slide).
    -Spa jets.

Re: Concrete Pool Slide

I prefer Olympic's Zeron epoxy paint.

See the following: http://www.kelleytech.com/olympic/olymp ... ctline.asp

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

An acrylic coating (not paint) might be best. You might want to contact a slide manufacturer to inquire about the best method for refinishing the slide.
    http://www.poolslide.com/custom_slides.html

http://www.interfab.com/swimming-pool-s ... Slide.aspx

http://www.srsmith.com/about.php

"An acrylic coating (not paint) might be best. You might want to contact a slide manufacturer to inquire about the best method for refinishing the slide. "

James,
    You are the second person I've run across to to suggest acrylic. I was told by a coatings company to use acrylic to get my desired custom color look, such as the faux granite, then use their clear "Aquaply M" uv protected slick finish epoxy as a top coat to protect the acrylic. This may be the route I will end up taking, at this point.

My slide is a concrete cast in place design so the finishes used on the pre-made type you linked my not be appropriate, but it can't hurt to give them a call to chat about it anyway. Thanks for the leads!

Kirby
    Approx. 25,000 Ga, IG Plaster, Shape - Freeform, with integrated spa, with DE Filter Flow Rate 180
    -Spa jets.

You might want to contact a company that does acrylic refinishing. If they don't do projects like slides, then they could probably recommend someone.

Example

James,
    I understand where you are coming from now! I didn't get the "acrylic, (not paint)" somehow before. An acrylic finish might be nice and prietty, but I have an acrylic bathtub. The stuff is fairly soft and you have to baby it. From the parties I've had here, both kids and adults don't baby the slide. Everything goes down the slide at some point. I would need a very hard finish as a top coat, and the desire for a faux granite finish requires something like an acrylic paint to achieve unless I want to dump a lot of cost at doing all epoxy like I just did, (which failed).
    -Spa jets.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    I prefer Olympic's Zeron epoxy paint.

See the following: http://www.kelleytech.com/olympic/olymp ... ctline.asp

Scott

I agree with scott, the paint he suggested is the brand I use to cover fiberglass repairs of walk-in steps. The only thing more durable would be some kind of bed liner paint, but that would have a rough finish although rhino does have many more products these days, for example this floor covering might work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9xCa08HC-M. If you are worried that UV damage is what is causing the paint to fail then I would periodically coat the slide with 303 aerospace protectant
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

Yeah I would put garage floor two part paint and try that. I did my shop floor with that in a double coat and then a clear coat on top, and it's slicker than snot when wet, and I drop tools all the time on it and its never chipped. Even the part by the roll up door which is in sun half the day looks as good as new.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

Kirby

I'm curious what you ended up using. Did you do the repairs yourself and what product did you use. I am about to undertake the same thing.

Tom
    [center:2jd6lb8v]16,000 Gal., Plaster, 3.0 HP Jandy, Polaris UltraFlex2, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Fafco solar panels, Jandy Aqualink[/center:2jd6lb8v]

I have a plaster covered concrete slide. After a modest rash on the first run down the slide I found a solution. I use bar counter epoxy. I would say it's pretty durable since a single coat lasts through the whole season. I just top it with a thin coat at the beginning of each season using a plastic cup for mixing and a disposable mini paint roller for application. I bought a 2 gallon kit 6 years ago and have not even gone through half yet.
    16 x 32 IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter

Concrete Pool Slide

What is bar counter epoxy? I've never heard of it.
    [center:2jd6lb8v]16,000 Gal., Plaster, 3.0 HP Jandy, Polaris UltraFlex2, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Fafco solar panels, Jandy Aqualink[/center:2jd6lb8v]

Its an epoxy for bar counter tops.

I would stick with an epoxy paint that is intended for pool use. Using epoxy paints made for other purposes such as garage floors will yield unpredictable results which are not normally good ones at that.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

Here's one brand of bar top epoxy: http://steebar.com/Supplies/Epoxy.html. I use another brand from a local commercial supplier.

As I mentioned, this does not flake or chip as it wears. It stays smooth through my whole summer season. It just tends to get a little rough after winter but is still usable. It is easy to maintain as you just topcoat it every year and end up with a glass-smooth surface for another year with little effort. After my (successful) experience with this I would not use a paint.
    16 x 32 IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter